The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Droopy Ruby Window
Ian,
I had read that article previously, but not understood it sufficiently. I didn't notice that both ends of the spring are bent inwards. As both ends of my spring were missing, bending new ends would shorten the spring so much that it would not be possible to get it onto the spindle. Hence now I see why it's impossible to reclaim the existing spring. 
It's a very ingenious mechanism having the spring act as a drum brake. I wonder how many of us never realised that a clever little drum brake was operating inside our window winders when we raised or lowered a window.
(25-07-2021, 08:32 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I replaced the broken spring with a piece of nylon I turned on my lathe. It has been working ok for many years. A tight fit in the housing bore of course.

Dave,

Can you give more detail, any photos? This may be a more sustainable method of repair. I do have a lathe, but those that dont could probably turn nylon in a drill/pillar drill.

Thanks

Ian