The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saenz rods - shell type?
Can anyone confirm the type of shells that can be used with Saenz rods as supplied by Pigsty and John Barlow please?
ACL Duraglide Lead copper bigend bearings is what my invoice records for my Pigsty engine.
(05-01-2018, 11:15 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Can anyone confirm the type of shells that can be used with Saenz rods as supplied by Pigsty and John Barlow please?

Renault 4. Part no 4133 or VPN 802 in old money
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/RENAULT-R4-0-8-...1044018457
Or Clevite 1762/4
It has been suggested to me that Saenz rods may take other bearings.
Phoenix and Barlow both take the shells above but if you have are are thinking of Saenz rods please check.  If anyone knows 100% then please say.

The specs for the rod tunnels for Renault bearings are:
Housing diameter from 41.128 to 41.139
Bearing width is 21.180

Charles
Thank you for clarifying Charles.

My understanding is that R4 shells are not suitable for Saenz rods.

Stuart - is your part number an alternative to the one given by Charles for R4 shells or one that you know to be correct for the Saenz rods please?
(05-01-2018, 04:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thank you for clarifying Charles.

My understanding is that R4 shells are not suitable for Saenz rods.

Stuart - is your part number an alternative to the one given by Charles for R4 shells or one that you know to be correct for the Saenz rods please?

Hi Ruairidh,
            That part number is the Clevite designation for the R4 big end shells.  Be interesting to know what Saenz have specified if it is  a different (presumably series production) shell.
Thank you Stuart.
Ruairidh,Are your Saenz rods split conventionally or at 45 deg ? I believe there are both.
I've measured a Phoenix rod bore which measures 41.3mm and takes R4 shells.
And a Saenz rod which measures 41.03mm ?
I don’t have any Dave - I want to know how available shells are for them before I consider using them.

Can you tell me if the locating tab is the same in both types?

Thank you.