The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thwarted
Once again, I've missed out on an Ebay item where someone with much deeper pockets than the Association has left me coming in in second place. Robert Foreman kindly pointed me to this photo - Murray Jameison at the wheel, Bert Hadley and Ral Appleby standing behind the car

I initially made an offer of £30 when the the listing went up. That was declined (fair enough with 6 days still to go) but I later reminded the chap of my offer which wasn't seen until the last day. Although he then accepted the offer, apparently as by then we were in an 8 hour window of the auction ending, he was unable to end the listing. So, I had to go in with everyone else at the death. A bid of £52.55, which I felt a little uncomfortable with was topped and the Archive lost out once again.

I do find it a little depressing but, as I have said before, I have to be careful with limited funds..

On the upside, however, I have just bought a very nice book on the history of BMW 1918-1932 which has a great deal of information in it on the Dixi.

Onwards and upwards...

Hugh
hi hugh,

yep i sore the picture go through. and it wasnt me who bought it.

a lovely picture. i dont see much of the streamliner.

it perhaps shows there is more interest in the associated collectable and advertising. than there is in the little car its self at the moment.

keep hunting.

tony.
And I've just missed out on this postcard....

Mike 'The Slueth' Costigan dated it as pre-1936 from the company logo on the reverse and I thought it a picture of great charm, I did get closer this time, having entered a maximum bid of £21.21 but was outbid to £21.42. Knowing how the bidding steps go on Ebay this time, at least, I pushed my opponent to their maximum..

Onwards and Upwards...

Hugh
Hi Hugh

I hope I’m not teaching grandma to suck eggs but my strategy with eBay is not to bid until the very last few seconds (5 seconds normally). Often putting bids in early simply results in a bidding war putting them in with 5 seconds to go gives the competition no chance to counter bid. 

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard. Yes, you are absolutely spot on. Funnily enough, I have just noticed I have been using Ebay for over 20 years now and have developed bidding strategies and quite agree, early bids only invite competitive bids in the process and push up the final price. A decent internet connection and a bid with 5 seconds to go is the way to do it..

cheers..

Hugh
My RN is VL4193 and is regd June 1932, if that helps datewise.
VL commenced in 1926.
I owned VL 1780 on a RF saloon, dated 1929, but I now have no record of the month.
i dont mind putting in a late bid. but often forget the end time. and miss the item all together Huh

i find its best to put a small early bid in, it shows interest in the item. so it is less likely to get pulled early if seller thinks there is little interest.

if all bids came in late, i think most sellers would give up. i would.

tony
Sorry to be a complete pedant, but the man standing behind the streamliner next to Bert Hadley is not Ral Appleby but Len Brokas who worked in the racing department and is seen on many Austin Seven racing photographs.

I'll get me anorak.
A great photo. I do like those dirty dust coats. not like F1 today.Stock seven oversteer can be terrifying at 50 mph. i guess with that tail not taking any high speed risks!
I am ignorant f the earlier Sevens but am surprised to see rear hinged  suicide doors. I thought Poms were too cultured to be seen in singlets. If it were not for the plates could be colonial.