The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piston Removal Ruby '38
Hi can someone advise me if its possible to remove the pistons from bottom of the engine as I have recently fitted new head gasket and not sure about lifting the head. 
My plan is to replace the rings as first course of action rather than engine rebuild Smile
It is usual to remove pistons from the bottom of the block after the block has been lifted from the crankcase. In some cases if your bores are oversize and/or the sides of the big ends have been reduced you can remove from the top without removing the block, but the oil baffles are always a problem. For many years I have not used baffles. The thing you cannot do as far as I know is remove pistons from the bottom of the block when it is still on the crankcase.
Thank you for your advice Robert
Well "never say never" but as far as I know it can't be done. Certainly not if the oil baffles are in place.
On a '38 (three main bearing?) engine the rods are offset on the crank & you'd have to get past the centre main bearing webs too.
Even in the best scenario, the lower piston rings will spring open once the piston is past the block preventing any chance of retreat when it goes bad.

What you could do if you really want to spare your gasket is lift the block off the crankcase with head still in place.
If it ain't leaking I'd leave it alone though - the block to crankcase joint is arguably more troublesome than the head joint.