The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed please
Hi, I’m looking for advice re a damaged crankcase please. I believe a small end bolt has come adrift & tried to exit the crankcase. (See photo). Do you think it’s suitable for a welded repair?
Thanks. Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm struggling a bit to orient where that is on the crankcase Jon. (ah - I see - it's in Australia!)
Bottom line is - unless it's something special - a decent welded repair is likely to cost you more than another case.
If the star is the only fracture drill large holes just beyond the true end of each crack and patch with any screws in the triangular areas. many old campaigners of greater standing than Sevens bearcampaign  scars.
I don't disagree Bob. You see quite a few old cases with patches riveted or bolted over damage like this. Stitch it even; as long as nothing loose can fall off inside. I certainly wouldn't throw it away.
I would “third” that proposal, drill tap and an aluminium patch, it will be fine, no need to throw away an otherwise decent case.