The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling Pork Pie Light experts
"Pork Pie" rear lights, Lucas Type ST138A.
The first image is an illuminated glass believed to have been fitted originally to a 1934 Ruby. It's marked on the inside of the rim, in small letters, "LUCAS P305" and is so dark that the lower section barely lets any light through. Its outside face is smooth, with just a single rib separating the lower rear light from the upper brake light section. Its inside has a "dimpled" texture.
The second image is of an illuminated glass also from an ST138A - but this is a very much lighter shade of red and marked across the bottom "ST38".
Modern reproductions have a different glass.
The question is - can anyone confirm that the darker, smooth-finish glass is indeed correct for 1934?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They were fitted to 1933 EB65s too I have a very old tatty one somewhere. If I find it i will have a look.
I have a 1934 RP saloon fitted with a ST 38 on the off side of the reg plate.
This Ruby which I rescued many years ago (and passed on to Anne's cousin, Lou!) was, I believe, a 1934 car, and has/had a lens with external vertical ribbing (ST 135?)

However, the 1936 Ruby that I owned around the same time had the very dark lens with a smooth exterior and stippled inner face like your P305 illustration.

Your ST 135A would appear to be a third variant with internal horizontal ribbing!
the original 65 one was smooth exterior, not ridged.
(12-07-2021, 07:05 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: This Ruby which I rescued many years ago (and passed on to Anne's cousin, Lou!) was, I believe, a 1934 car, and has/had a lens with external vertical ribbing (ST 135?) However, the 1936 Ruby that I owned around the same time had the very dark lens with a smooth exterior and stippled inner face like your P305 illustration.
Your ST 135A would appear to be a third variant with internal horizontal ribbing!

So, it might just be that the one on our Ruby with the very dark lens and a smooth, external surface might be a replacement - as supplied on later cars.

(12-07-2021, 06:13 PM)dickie65 Wrote: They were fitted to 1933 EB65s too I have a very old tatty one somewhere. If I find it i will have a look.
Thanks, I'd be interested to know.

(12-07-2021, 06:40 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: I have a 1934 RP saloon fitted with a ST 38  on the off side of the reg plate.
Is the glass smooth on the outside with no ribbing of any sort?
Good morning. I have checked my Lucas parts lists and it states: ST38A 'fitted with a slightly domed and fluted glass'.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.
(13-07-2021, 10:05 AM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good morning. I have checked my Lucas parts lists and it states: ST38A 'fitted with a slightly domed and fluted glass'.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.

Might the list mention the Type P305? This is the one we believe to be original to the car
Was it a wartime glass fitted to dim the rear light
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
(14-07-2021, 06:55 PM)spannerman Wrote: Was it a wartime glass fitted to dim the rear light
 A very interesting idea, though nothing in the regulations of the time suggests it would have happened: http://www.aj-wilkinson.co.uk/blackout.html  The aim of all the restrictions was to reduce the area of light visible.