The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
better in the rain
My Ruby has done about a thousand miles now, so is about run in.

The power is adequate, but only just.

Last time I had it out was a hot dry day. Not happy to pull beyond about 37 mph. On a slight incline soon dropping to 25 and asking for third gear. In third gear soon going onto the flat and screaming to be back into 4th gear. Just not enough power to be happy in a County where most roads have an incline one way or the other.

Today, the first time I've driven it in the rain, it seemed noticeably better. A bit more power up an incline, so no need for third. Pulling better on the flat. Happy to accelerate from 22mph in top on the flat. just so much more flexible with a bit more power.

Is this normal?
Damp cold air is denser and improves combustion - consider how intercoolers work and why they are fitted.
i guess thats the next idiot idea for someone then, fit an intercooler to there seven Angel
I just live in Scotland, works tremendously!
My experience is Sevens go better the hotter it is. Returning from Scotland we had to negotiate a roundabout onto a dual carriageway with a long gradual incline. Every year the traffic meant it was a standing start and we could never getup into top in a 3 speed RN, then one year it was blistering hot and both cars got into top and stormed up the incline. Another time returning from Falmouth the Seven on another blistering day was quite happy at 45mph almost flat out leaving Truro by the time I was at Exeter I was having to back the throttle off to keep down to 50mph.
Would this be a hood time to talk about a water injection/ venturi system again?
Mine is the complete opposite experience Dave.

When touring in Europe, for example, the cars go tremendously well in the cold damp air of early morning and not so well as the heat of the day sets in.
Beat me to it, Ruairidh, Dave’s comment is the opposite of my experiences. Driving either a Seven or a 2CV the power is so little that the slightest increase, or decrease is noticeable. Early summer morning, not too damp but temperature quite low helps a lot, by the time late evening has been reached at this time of year, again hills are that bit easier. The Burton 2CV air inlet tube system is not really any sort of blower, but makes sure that air is not hot from under the bonnet, but cooler, and therefore more dense, from outside.
(03-07-2021, 02:10 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Damp cold air is denser and improves combustion - consider how intercoolers work and why they are fitted.

I understand the principle, but wasn't expecting much of an effect.

And at 16 degrees it wasn't really 'cold air'.

Thinking about it, the ambient temperature isn't what matters, it's the underbonnet temp. Today was two trips of about 5 miles, an hour apart.
How do you explain the difference then Andrew?