The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Wing mirrors
Not having driven my Ruby for 40 years, I find the lack of wing mirrors disconcerting. I know there are some sympathetically-styled wing mirrors available but I'm unclear how to fasten these without doing permanent damage. Would any Ruby owners who have wing mirrors please let me know/see your solution (or advice on what NOT to do) please?
I use a cheap round chromed lollipop style on a steel stalk which is threaded at the end. Often seen on motorcycles. 
I drill and tap the flat hinge arms to suit and screw the stalk in till flush, a locknut and washer tightens up outside. The only weakness has been the quality of chrome, not surprising considering the price.
Hi
Contact Austin Repro they do very nice clip on door hinge OVERTAKING MIRROR for RUBY Tel 01202 625242
I bought one of the clip on the door hinge type and took the clips off filed the shaft down to the size of the door hinge pin and substituted the mirror stalk as a hinge pin. Cut a thread on the bottom to take a nut.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I've looked at those, but can't work out what it clips onto.
The mirror clamps to the outside of the top door hinge Anne, careful packing will ensure it does not damage the finish.
Not the most elegant solution, but you could use a standard wing-mounted mirror like this, but using a two-piece clamp arrangement instead of drilling the hinge would eliminate any modifications to the car:

.jpg   ruby.JPG (Size: 46.36 KB / Downloads: 332)
On numerous occasions improvised various mirrors, but being cheap and cheerful rust attacked pretty soon. Finally gave up and just spent the money getting the correct items from Willie McKenzie. Still there, still polish well, so can be seen as an investment.
Thank you for the recommendations. I have a clip-on mirror on order and I guess the fastening might become more obvious when it's here and I can put it to the car.
Anne when venturing onto multi lane highways a passenger side mirror is an advantage also.