The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP engine out
When refitting engine to gearbox and dealing with the master spline, I picked up a tip from dear old Ray Walker. Adjust the gearbox so that the master spline is the top (or bottom, it makes no..) Adust the position of the clutch plate to that the master spline is in the same relative postion. At that point, mark the flywheel with chalk (I mark at either side where it is adjacent to the crankcase) You can then see if the flywheel moves when man handling the engine and preventing mating. I can't guarantee 100% success but it does seem to work for me...

Though, to be fair, now I have access to an engine hoist, I may adopt the gearbox mated to the engine approach in future but we will see...
Proceeding smoothly [thanks for the checklist Reckless].My lifting hooks are for 14mm plugholes but obtained adaptors from Green spark plug people. Nosepiece needs to come off and put on "new" spare engine; I recall damaging an alloy fan belt pulley trying to pull it off the taper with a 3 legged puller in the past. I am sure I was given the way to do this  atraumatically but cannot now recall the method-heat perhaps? Advice please from this ever-knowledgeable forum.
Undo the nut retaining the fan pulley and using a drift, give one of the spokes a clout in the direction of rotation. That should break the taper. Don't use a puller.