The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This morning's mystery

No it almost certainly has nothing to do with anything designed at Longbridge, but perhaps Forumistes en France, or distinguished contributors whose workshops have French machines next to their Sevens, might be able to help. The other true anorak question is whether anyone has any info on the steam roller used by Cleobury Mortimer District Council in 1919. Yes, Hedd, I should get out more....
That's a lovely picture steve.

Any old car would be comfortable in there.

Tony.
Well, it's obviously French, early 1920s; it looks like it's got a home-made extension over the radiator which confuses things somewhat. It has the look of an EHP, but they were usually right-hand-drive, so probably not. It could, of course, be a completely home-made one-off...

It might be worth posting the photo on Amicale Tricyclecariste Forum:

https://tricyclecaristes.1fr1.net/
Hi, just doing that folks.
Here it is!
(30-06-2021, 08:11 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Well, it's obviously French, early 1920s; it looks like it's got a home-made extension over the radiator which confuses things somewhat. It has the look of an EHP, but they were usually right-hand-drive, so probably not. It could, of course, be a completely home-made one-off...

It might be worth posting the photo on Amicale Tricyclecariste Forum:

https://tricyclecaristes.1fr1.net/

Intriguing. I don't think it's an EHP. The fact that the front overhangs the front axle by a considerable amount does confuse things as most cyclecars do not have this arrangement. I did wonder whether it is a Micron but I hope the AT Forum come up with a definitive answer.
From the cyclecar forum link. Never mind what it is, just admire the quality of the photograph which must have been from a 10 x 8 glass negative. Click on the image to get a higher resolution copy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We got answers on ATF forum
[url=https://tricyclecaristes.1fr1.net/t1831-question-de-nos-amis-de-austin7friends#30654][/url]
Alcyon or SIMA VIOLET
My friends from ATF forum says:
"Sans hésitations, un Sima ou Alcyon. Le chassis, les freins la direction correspondent, même la caisse dont seul le nez a été modifié pour mettre une calandre.  Seule particularité, il s'agit d'un rare modèle où le moteur est juste derrière l'essieu avant. "
Without hesitation, a Sima or Alcyon. The chassis, the steering, the brakes match, even the body whose only the nose has been modified to put a grille.
The only peculiarity is that it is a rare model where the engine is just behind the front axle.

Morning mystery, afternoon solution!
If anyone can spring a photo of a Sima Violet from the front likely of interest. Flat twin and intriguing (and puzzling) frail looking suspension.
Wouldn't it be great if you could just leave bikes unlocked today. And how long would the tools stay in the little leather bag behind seat? The ritual of locking, helmet, hi viz detracts today. One bicycle there has a very high frame once common. With no traffic lights or traffic would not have to constantly dismount as today.
Many thanks to all for tracking down the machine. The improvised extended nose hides what would otherwise have been the giveaway, the flywheel at the front of the Sima Violet engine. That is of course an air cooled flat twin, one hopes that the extension did not impede cooling air. Marcel Violet was still capable of winning the GP de la Marne as late as  1927 sustaining 55.76 mph over 198 miles. Mike Hawke records that the cyclecar class was originally intended to do half the distance of the voiturettes. However, perhaps on the basis that they had paid their entry fee, and were having sporting fun, after their allocated twenty laps the cyclecars just continued for a further twenty!  Production cars had 496 cc,  the GP car might have had a larger engine. Violet's engine designed for Major featured a rotary inlet valve, has anyone  seen one of these?
One remaining puzzle in the original photo is what might look like a drag link running back from the front wheel or maybe the axle. Front axle location is by radius arms, an arrangement familiar to us all.
Having an indefatigable 2CV and a Ruby whose radiator has begun to imitate a colander, I rather think that air cooling is a good idea.
I love it when we get pictures of this quality from the 20's.......even when they are not of Austin 7's
Black Art Enthusiast