The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater
Our newly acquired chummy has a heater fitted (see picture) when the car was first acquired we thought - a heater in a chummy, yes right! But given this less than summery summer the heater has been a boon.
Anyway, there is a question, is our heater a proprietary or home made item?
Joe 
Rainy Suffolk.
I think it is proprietary; I sold one of those 2 or 3 years ago.
That’s an interesting design. Can you not just run 2 heater hoses to the cabin for a conventional heater or does that interrupt the water flow too much?
That suggestion is unlikely to be satisfactory unless you fit a water pump.
I am far, far away from needing a heater yet, but I had wondered how effective a metal jacket around the exhaust pipe would be if a pipe were run to vent from the jacket into the car.

Regards,

Jamie.
It is hard to imagine it being very effective in really cold conditions because it is heating external air, albeit through the radiator.
Accomodatirng the accesory circular heaters as fitted to cars in the 50s would be difficult but used with a thermostat more likely to be effective as reheating tha cabin air.If not too fussed about appearance the cores of many heaters could be adapted,esp if the fan dispensed with. 
On long trips in a moderate climate our RP got pleasantly warm from the gearbox.When the car was replaced by a 1952 Hillman we found it very bleak.
Perhaps a wood stove in the back !??

But seriously, I've often wondered if there was a practical way to fit some sort of heater to a Seven.
Stephen
I find that the plates fitted between the body sides and the chassis each side of the engine soon warm the cab up in winter, these are removed in summer to reduce the risk of fuel vaporization.
Having done the VSCC Measham Rally in my RL saloon on a frosty February night some years ago, I would say that a heater is not necessary.  If anything, the interior of the car got too warm.   The entire bulkhead of the car gets pleasantly warm and if you eliminate draughts around the pedals, gearbox and doors that is sufficient to keep you comfortable.
I rarely put the hood up on the Chummystein and in the winter I used to wear my motorcycle Barbour and gloves, no problem, though doing a charity rally around Oxfordshire in the snow was fun!
As far as the A7 saloons I’ve had, yes they are cold first thing on a frosty morning, but soon warm up.
My current box saloon was originally fitted with a valve wireless and a heater mounted on the bulkhead, how either worked or would be effective, I haven’t a clue!