The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little and Large.
Slavanka  probably refers to the holiday home of the Russian Countess Tchertkov on Bellue Vue Road, Southbourne-on-Sea.
Stripped of all her possessions by the Bolsheviks she arrived back in Britain in 1919. By 1921 she had established the Southbourne Missionary and Conference Centre.
The Chummy's registration letters, TR, indicate it as being Southampton registered and possibly adds to the evidence.
Well done Holmes, I was wondering about that!
Excellent work Chris, many thanks.
Brilliant! I'd got no nearer than Slavyanka in Azerbaijan!
The Pontypridd connection, courtesy Google Maps

https://theslavankatrust.org/

3 Neyland Cl, Tonteg, Pontypridd CF38 1HH
(28-06-2021, 12:56 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Quite a few cars used the transmission bands as a 'clutch'; Rileys, Lagonda Rapier and early Roesch Talbots all relied on this method.

I thought that Riley’s fitted with the Wilson box used theNewton centrifugal clutch. My 12/4 Adelphi (owned many years ago) was so fitted. I have no experience of Lagondas or Talbots, although I always fancied a Talbot 105.
Dads Armstrong Siddley was four cylinder OHV with a three speed crash box. Most of it's life second gear was stripped, first went from about 0 to 10MPH,top was about 5 to 60MPH. The gearbox was mounted on the tailshaft with a primitve short shaft from the flywheel to the gearbox, a bulb at each end of the shaft and three balls which regulary fell apart. It reallly was a mechanical boggle. They were such a terrble vehicle I doubt any survive today.
(29-06-2021, 12:59 AM)David Stepney Wrote:
(28-06-2021, 12:56 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Quite a few cars used the transmission bands as a 'clutch'; Rileys, Lagonda Rapier and early Roesch Talbots all relied on this method.

I thought that Riley’s fitted with the Wilson box used theNewton centrifugal clutch. My 12/4 Adelphi (owned many years ago) was so fitted. I have no experience of Lagondas or Talbots, although I always fancied a Talbot 105.

Riley Nines fitted with either ENV or Armstrong pre-selectors also use a centrifugal clutch of varying types (1, 2 or 3). Apparently the final, type 3 clutch was prone to flying to pieces without warning. Friend of mine has a 9 and spent hours fiddling with the clutch and the idle speed to get to a happy state where the clutch is disengaged at tickover but engages cleanly when the revs are raise above about 800rpm.
(29-06-2021, 07:56 AM)Parazine Wrote:

Riley Nines fitted with either ENV or Armstrong pre-selectors also use a centrifugal clutch of varying types (1, 2 or 3). Apparently the final, type 3 clutch was prone to flying to pieces without warning. Friend of mine has a 9 and spent hours fiddling with the clutch and the idle speed to get to a happy state where the clutch is disengaged at tickover but engages cleanly when the revs are raise above about 800rpm.

Daimler’s used a fluid flywheel, which worked very well (unless it leaked from the rear seal). I still think that the Daimler transmission was the most civilised transmission ever.
(29-06-2021, 07:56 AM)Parazine Wrote:

Aah! My mistake, then. I was thinking Nine rather than Twelve, but obviously I was wrong either way.