The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter driving a Ruby
Best way to drive your Ruby in the B.C. winters. 1937ish International truck.   Gord

Sorry for dragging this old snap out again, but I beg to differ

That’s not snow! That’s thick frost!
(26-06-2021, 11:11 PM)gord Wrote: That’s not snow! That’s thick frost!

True as that may be, about 200 yards further I met a modern car doing a 3 point turn because he couldn't get any further up the hill... we had no such problems in the Rubyesque four seat tourer
Narrow tires, decent ground clearance and not being over powered certainly helps.
Steve Jones and myself well remember going past a modern 4 x 4 VW that was unable to get up the snow covered hill in South Molton, Devon, whilst going to our start hill in a VSCC Exmoor Trial a few years ago.  It had started to snow heavily as the cars left the start venue.  We got to our start hill only to find that the marshals had not managed to do so.  As a result the event sadly had to be cancelled. 
Whilst the Austin Chummy demonstrated superb traction in the snow, the single windscreen wiper didn't cope quite so well.  Going over Exmoor in heavy snow I was standing up and leaning over the windscreen clearing the snow whilst Steve struggled to see where we were going.
The fabric saloon is pretty good in snow. This is January 2018.

.jpg   DarnleeSnow.jpg (Size: 172.98 KB / Downloads: 180)

My son has recently bought an Audi TT S quattro with 310bhp and huge wide tyres. On a snow covered road it has better acceleration than my 1999 Citroen Xantia 110 on a dry road. I was amazed.
Jim
Sevens can cope with at least a foot of snow with no problem:

In the Peak District, thanks to man-made-global-cooling, we've had some cracking winters. A golf diesel with its engine bay packed solid with snow; overnight it froze almost solid - but still ran. A Discovery powering down a just-wide-enough track between dry-stone walls full to the brim - a good five-feet - of light, wind-blown snow; a Mk.1 Subaru estate with snow being shovelled over the bonnet (OK, it was downhill...) and a Chummy, with motorcycle scramble tyres, breaking a half-shaft so good was the traction in 12-inches of slush ascending Longstone edge. The same Chummy (with road tyres) overtaking a long line of stuck cars approaching the Windmill above Bradwell (highly amusing to see people waving their fists at me) and Mike, remember the uphill grass verge in the Measham?
Never to be forgotten, Tony  Big Grin

As for man-made-global-cooling, I don't think much has changed in our lifetime:

.jpg   1961 Winter.jpg (Size: 44.58 KB / Downloads: 106)