The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon slicer and starter motors
good evening chaps,

I’m after some advice, the rebuild has started on my special and I see I have a 4 speed gearbox, so I’m struggling to find a starter that fits, I have two both don’t fit due to the gear-lever and mounting. I’ve heard of the bacon slicer and been told that’s what I need... so firstly is there a modern starter that will fit ? 12v is fine .... or a conversion plate to somehow use the normal starter and finally is there’s anywhere that sells a bacon slicer cheaply ? Seen recon for £350 which isn’t  option...

Many thanks Matt

Ps now have history on the car back to the he early 80’s GN312 ?
I've used a Rover 75 petrol V6 starter motor with a change of pinion on my 3 speed box. I suspect that if you fitted it 180 degrees rotated from my set up you *might* get the clearance you need. With a target price of less than £10 it might be worth trying 

I thought Tony Betts sold an adapter to fit a direct drive starter over a 4 speed box.
This article may help to put a starter motor on top of a 4 speed box.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...ersion.htm
Thank you for the feedback, certainly puts me on the right road. Seems I have a 32 4 speed crash box and the starter will have to sit at some angel to align up... waiting to see what Tony has before I start fabricating something ...

I’ve seen ATV starters are very compact but would rather keep it all pre-war if possible...

Cheers Matt
Tony Betts nolonger stocks the starter motor conversion casting, haven’t yet found a rover starter but the classic fiat 500 looks promising, the new high torque motor is made to fit but still a little pricey.... 

Surely there is another period route to go down ?

Cheers Matt
If you can weld get some 6mm plate laser cut, as per the article.
I bet if you got 3 sets cuts and sold them as parts you could ensure that your set was effectively free.
Hi Charles,
I’ve taken a look and recon with the plate the starter will have to be off centre... Then I’d be better off using the narrower fiat starter. I’ll give it a few more weeks with my hunt for a bacon slicer ?

However just seen the Rover unit you recommend in the first place .... also looks ideal ?

Cheers Matt
(03-07-2021, 01:30 PM)goodwoodweirdo Wrote: Hi Charles,
I’ve taken a look and recon with the plate the starter will have to be off centre... Then I’d be better off using the narrower fiat starter. I’ll give it a few more weeks with my hunt for a bacon slicer ?

However just seen the Rover unit you recommend in the first place .... also looks ideal ?

Cheers Matt

Ideal but you do need to change the pinion and make a 10mm aluminium spacer plate.
I'll look out a source for the pinion and message you.