The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear bearing oil slinger ???
Simple one this time !!!! which way should it face please,
pics would help , thanks
Upturned edges towards the rear of the engine.
:-) cheers
You need to make sure that it is trapped between the flywheel boss and the rear main bearing so that it rotates with the crankshaft. If it doesn’t then it is no good as an oil thrower and it digs a nasty stress raiser groove in the crank journal. ( just where you definitely do not want one !) To ensure that it rotates you need to use a ballpein hammer to create a slight bell shape near the internal diameter, just enough to be deformed when tightening the flywheel onto the crank. I use an old 1” nut with a chamfer in the bore held in the vice and place the thrower on top and hit it gently with the hammer. Note that there has to be a gap between the flywheel boss and the inner race, otherwise the flywheel taper will not engage on the crank taper.
Cheers Dave, we have already established that the Zingy noise, coming from the bell housing is 99% down to being a loose slinger, and will re-peen the dimples to take up the slack.
I suppose that this is a daft question, but if there is an oil seal on the clutch end of the crankshaft, is the oil thrower really needed?

Regards,

Jamie.
(18-06-2021, 04:21 PM)Jamie Wrote: I suppose that this is a daft question, but if there is an oil seal on the clutch end of the crankshaft, is the oil thrower really needed?

Regards,

Jamie.

Yes.
(18-06-2021, 08:26 PM)Parazine Wrote:
(18-06-2021, 04:21 PM)Jamie Wrote: I suppose that this is a daft question, but if there is an oil seal on the clutch end of the crankshaft, is the oil thrower really needed?

Regards,

Jamie.

Yes.

Clear and succinct. Thank you.

Jamie.