The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box saloon door alignment “slots”
/When you dismantle a car and there’s a ten year gap before you put it back together, things go missing and you forget things!

In the b post there are two wedge shaped slots, which I guess align the door and help stop it rattling, but I have no idea what they look like or if I can get replacements as they are most definitely not in amongst my boxes of parts.

I have taken a picture showing the lower of the two slots in the b post can anyone post pics of what should be either in the b post itself or on the corresponding part of the door?

...and where might I find the bits, before I try to make them?
The two wedge shaped slots locate the rubber buffers that are screwed into the door frame.  I would think new rubbers will be available, many cars had them.
Ivor, you need two rubber ‘buffers’ on each door to correspond with the wedge-shaped slots in the B-post - available from the usual suppliers.
Andrew Fallon
Netherlands
Unless you've got the dreaded droop, in which case don't bother as they won't be of any use...
Thanks Malcolm and Andrew, I though that's what may be missing, but I needed it confirmed, I shall see if the usual suppliers have any in stock.

Bruce, how dare you imply that I may be suffering from droop...no little blue pills require around here!
It's just that my RP has had 1/2" of drivers door droop ever since I 've had the car and the rubbers just won't fit. I think someone who last did a body off restoration didn't sort the door drop problem before welding it all up as I've tried the jacking the bulkhead trick and nothing moves except the whole car. I have decided to just live with it as one of the RP foibles. It's too much hassle to take the thing apart to rectify it. The next owner can do it...
I have a gap at the top of the door Bruce, but it is level and the swage line on the doors matches both front and back, so I think I can install the door buffers without a problem...I’m amazed the doors haven’t dropped, the car must have had an easy life!
Mine must have been suffering from the effects of gravity since time mint imperial - I've just been and had a look and someone (not me by the way) has ground off some of the bottom of the door latch mechanism so the door will stay shut... I guess it must have been easier to do that than relocate the latch plate on the B pillar.

I guess it's an easier fix if the general state of the body shell is suffering the ravages of time and metal-worm, but mine has been re-built like the Graf Spee. I reckon any enthusiastic jacking to sort the door aperture is likely to either distort the screen aperture or kink the roof. Best left alone, unless someone passing wants to have a go... I presume the door rubbers were to stop rattles, before the advent of draught excluders.
Supposed to support the door so the hinges and latch not doing all the work.
Ivor,
         the replacement buffers from our cherished suppliers are usually too thick. Thin them by grinding with a sharp wheel to the required thickness.