The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lady Drivers
Following on from the restored 1927 catalogue cover, here are a few more cleaned pages; all charming and all with lady drivers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The write up on the first one brings back memories of a visit to Tatton park many years ago, I parked next to an open up market car in blisteringly hot weather and enjoyed the visit, towards the end of the day some dark clouds appeared and we made are way back to the Seven closing the sun roof as torrential rain started. The owner of the open car arrived at this stage and commenced to erect it's hood which resembled a giant Meccano set at which stage I was glad I'd invested in an Austin.
I can  recall as a small boy my father allowing my mother to drive. With close access to the steering and brake lever he felt reasonably safe. But my mother always got going quite fast. Fearing for all concerned and the car the lessons soon ended. But a surprisng number of women did manage them. And without damaging the door handles.
You're showing your age now Bob, why should it be surprising that women could manage to drive Smile
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Passed her test just after her 17th birthday.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tony, I love your pictures featuring lady drivers — I have a question. The cars featured seem to be from the twenties. Perhaps someone in the Austin sales promotion dept thought to capitalize on the idea of a baby Austin with all the associated connections though I also detect a strong appeal to the emancipated young lady looking for relative freedom and adventure.
Now my question — do the thirties cars, Ruby onwards, also feature the ladies or was that more of an age predominantly featuring men in advertisements?
Hi Tony G
Did she pass the test in the Austin? I was quite motivated to get my car going for the oldies test then they did away with it. Any criticism and I woud have asked them to demonstrate better.
In many ways easier than moderns with their very restricted visiblity, esp rearward.
(12-06-2021, 12:09 PM)Charles Levien Wrote: Tony, I love your pictures featuring lady drivers — I have a question. The cars featured seem to be from the twenties. Perhaps someone in the Austin sales promotion dept thought to capitalize on the idea of a baby Austin with all the associated connections though I also detect a strong appeal to the emancipated young lady looking for relative freedom and adventure.
Now my question — do the thirties cars, Ruby onwards, also feature the ladies or was that more of an age predominantly featuring men in advertisements?

I cannot say anything about the advertisements but, it is my understanding that my car - boat tail tourer - was marketed to ladies to drive to the club as a second car.
The Seven had grown up somewhat during the 1930s, so advertising tended to show the car with a full compliment of passengers, usually with the father at the wheel; but the woman driver did still feature, here are a couple featuring the Mk2 Ruby and the Big Seven:

Re page 2 above has there ever been such a well dressed random group on the Embankment (or wherever) since?

It is curious just what market they were after with the well dressed lady drivers? Second car for the very well off? 
With married women at home an even better case could be made for woman drivers than today.

Of my schoolboy colleagues and realtives all parents owned cars but less than half mothers could drive. As the cars were used by men to go to work, not much point.

In the last print I trust they remembered to change from 50 grade for the winter.