The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting dog.
Good morning All,

My 1928 magneto engine has recently been overhauled and fitted with a 1 1/2" jet fed Phoenix crankshaft.
I now find that I can no longer use my crank handle to start the engine as the starting nut as fitted to the Phoenix crank is worn.
Pushing forward on the crank handle while turning it requires a super human effort to keep it engaged with the nut. The engine is free.
The engine repairer advises that the original starting nut from my 1 1/8" crank cannot be used on the Phoenix crank and that the correct nut for the Phoenix 1 1/2" is unavailable.
Any thoughts on whether:
                                      1) The worn starting nut fitted to the Phoenix crank can be fettled to suit my 1928 crank handle, and
                                       2) The nut can be removed from my engine for fettling without dismantling the engine ?

Thank you.

Russell.
Are you sure it’s not simply that the crank handle is not properly aligned with the crankshaft dog? One of the things you have to do when you replace a mag engine is make sure the staring handle is properly aligned both side to side and up and down.
Alan Fairless
Your engine repairer is wrong you can modify the original starter dog off your 1-1/8 to fit it’s a simple mod you need to do for any Phoenix crank
If the 'teeth' of the starting dog are worn they can be built up by mig welding and grinding to re-profile.
I have no experience of pressure fed systems but this mod may be of use, others will be able to confirm: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...0#pid54870
Thanks Alan, Leaf 200, Robert Leigh and Ruairidh for your early replies all of which I found helpful.

Russell.