The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nickel Plating
How much to nickel plate just two of the short "door-top" plates?
Does £119 seem a tad too much? That was a quote from "Ashford Chroming" a Mexborough-based company http://www.ashfordchroming.com/area/elec...Mexborough ...... a firm that goes under various names.
Might anyone be able to suggest another possibility?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You could probably buy a nickel plating kit cheaper and do it yourself. Then you would have the kit available for the next item you want to plate.
I think it's all to do with Companies treating each order separately, even though they may have decorative Ni or Cr items going through their plant all the time.

I use a Company in Leicester. ( who are excellent. ) Some time back I needed a couple of small windscreen items Cr plated but was advised that the price would be very high. 
I waited until I had other parts that needed plating and together with a friend with MG parts, we put a large order in which made the two small items above pale into insignificance.

Last week I did the same again with two Seven rad shells together with my friend with all his MGTC items, including a rad shell, requiring chroming.
tony,

there always used to be a small company in mexborough called prestige polish and plate.

been in the business for decades, its a small family company. 01709 577004

ive used them for over 10 years because they understand the car and motorcylce world. and have a good understanding of what different metals need to get a good plate.

unless they have been killed of by covid along with everything else of course.

do let us know if they are still going, as i need parts nickling myself.

tony
Wow thats absolutely astronomical. The main cost of nickel plating will be the prep work. If you're happy for them to be plated as-is, i have no idea where that price has come from.

I've just ordered all the bits to do it myself:
10L White vinegar - £10
100g Nickel Anode (enough for LOTS) - £7 (i could find it cheaper im sure)
10L Hcl Acid Dip is optional (brick cleaner) - £10
Salt, Gloves, Bucket, Charger/PSU/Battery, Wires, Croc Clips already got.

A family friend is big into his classic motorbikes and he mentioned to me recently that the Chrome plating business has a 6-12 month waiting list thanks to the Covid shutdowns. Maybe they're taking advantage of the situation?

You're not far from me. I'll give it a try over the next few weeks and if my bits turn out well i'd do it for a few beers Smile
Ashford Plating aren't based in Mexborough, Tony. They're based in Ashford in Kent! They've one of those web sites that if you put Chrome Plating and Mexborough into Google it'll give a result suggesting they're in Mexborough when they aren't. Similar would happen whatever location you tried. The company I think you're looking for is Prestige Plating who ARE in Mexborough. They don't have a web site but the address is Unit 6 Cliff St, Mexborough S64 9HU, telephone 01709 577004. Roger Perkins and his family has been in business for a lot of years and are old car people (last time I heard he had an SS100). Still in business late last year but they did at that time have quite a long lead time.

I remember calling once some years ago when they were based in Wombwell and bumping into Chris Dalby. His Mother was sitting in his Land Rover outside and he was running between Roger Perkins inside and his Mother outside as the two negotiated a price for plating a batch of something or other. Mother wouldn't come in, Roger wouldn't come out and Mother didn't trust Chris to agree the price without her say so!

Steve
Chris Dalby's Mother Olga wasn't someone to be trifled with but her bark was much worse than her bite.  For some strange reason she always reminded me of Spike the fierce bull dog in the Tom and Jerry cartoons.
Many years ago I recommended Austin 7 Services at Kirby Wiske to a young lad from Ilkley who had recently acquired a rather nice Austin 7 special with an MG J2 style body and a squirrel radiator mascot.
When I saw Chris Dalby a little while later he told me that the lad in question (Chris Petty) had called one Sunday morning and knocked on the door of the Post Office, which Olga ran.  In Chris Dalby's own words  'your pal Chris Petty called on Sunday but I was unable to get to the door in time and Mother savaged him on the doorstep!'
I love it.
Big Grin
(02-06-2021, 11:49 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: Ashford Plating aren't based in Mexborough, Tony. They're based in Ashford in Kent! They've one of those web sites that if you put Chrome Plating and Mexborough into Google it'll give a result suggesting they're in Mexborough when they aren't. Similar would happen whatever location you tried. The company I think you're looking for is Prestige Plating who ARE in Mexborough. They don't have a web site but the address is Unit 6 Cliff St, Mexborough S64 9HU, telephone 01709 577004. Roger Perkins and his family has been in business for a lot of years and are old car people (last time I heard he had an SS100). Still in business late last year but they did at that time have quite a long lead time.

I remember calling once some years ago when they were based in Wombwell and bumping into Chris Dalby. His Mother was sitting in his Land Rover outside and he was running between Roger Perkins inside and his Mother outside as the two negotiated a price for plating a batch of something or other. Mother wouldn't come in, Roger wouldn't come out and Mother didn't trust Chris to agree the price without her say so!

Steve
Thank you, Steve - valuable information indeed. I will avoid the £119 job!

(02-06-2021, 11:16 AM)Eddamoo Wrote: Wow thats absolutely astronomical.  The main cost of nickel plating will be the prep work.  If you're happy for them to be plated as-is, i have no idea where that price has come from.

I've just ordered all the bits to do it myself:
10L White vinegar - £10
100g Nickel Anode (enough for LOTS) - £7 (i could find it cheaper im sure)
10L Hcl Acid Dip is optional (brick cleaner) - £10
Salt, Gloves, Bucket, Charger/PSU/Battery, Wires, Croc Clips already got.

A family friend is big into his classic motorbikes and he mentioned to me recently that the Chrome plating business has a 6-12 month waiting list thanks to the Covid shutdowns.  Maybe they're taking advantage of the situation?

You're not far from me.  I'll give it a try over the next few weeks and if my bits turn out well i'd do it for a few beers Smile

Thank you, Eddamoo. I will be most interested to see if you can help.
Is Roger Perkins the son, because I remember it was Brian Perkins and his wife who ran the business when it was in Wombwell. Brian did have a collection of Jaguars, including an SS100. They used to do a "proper" cup of tea when I used to call in.