The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales of the salesman
I thought id start a thread regarding your interesting and even funny stories of clueless sales people at the likes of halfords and eurocarparts.

Mine include being told "all cars have alternators" when id explained that i was looking for 27amp wire for my ford 103e dynamo, the bloke followed me out to "advise" me, took one look under my bonnet and i stood there smugly for him to say "oh n-n-no that'd definitely be an alternator then"

or the time i changed my spark plugs from eurocarparts, all bloody wrong ones stuffed into the correct box, fitted them without double checking the plugs themselves, two had a longer reach were squashed when the engine was cranked, took them back to have the woman refuse to look for more despite me explaining I NEED the car to get to work the next day, she spoke to the "expert" at the back in the office and i was told "you could have the same ones and try a thicker head gasket".

hope to hear some of yours, the people they employ in these stores are frightening unaware, I'd have more luck finding the correct parts and advice in the local bakery sometimes.
The moral of the tale is to only get your parts from a proper motor factors.
Conversely, decades ago, the chaps in the local BMC agency knew every part by its number. Bob would shout something like "TY9987, TY9967 and RT556." Brown-coat Bill would shuffle off into the back storeroom and return with the items. The guy on the counter didn't even need to check that they were correct, he knew they would be.
Modern HT leads cannot be made up from the coil of cloth decorated cable with a spade end to be attached to the plug with a little knurled screw, kept in the box of Seven lx bits in the workshop. On  Sunday morning, the rain being too dreadful for almost anything and having to venture out in a working modern motor car, I thought I’d stop by Halfords in Brynmawr, just in case I did not have to wait for the motor factors to open on Monday. Rather than roam the store, I waved the dead HT lead at the lad at the till and asked where I might find one. When he replied “What’s that?” I began to think my journey was in vain. Indeed, subsequent wandering round the store revealed absolutely nothing to do with ignition, certainly not an HT lead.
I did ask a local general hardware shop if they had SAE30 in larger than the 1 litre bottles on the shelf and received the response "just how big is your lawnmover?"
I left...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Not motoring related but I did ask a callow assistant in Sainsbury's once whether they stock washing soda crystals to be asked whether I wanted organic!
Must say I did think someone in Wickes might know what a blow torch was.
Absolutely wonderful exhilarating thread! Thanks!
I’m already mouth watering at what will follow...
I once went into the local all-things-machine-tool-grinding-related shop and asked for a 160 x 1 pink grinding wheel. The assistant returned with said item and slammed it down, hard, on the steel-topped counter. I said nothing but just looked at him, unblinking. Eventually came the "Wazzup?".
"Wazup is you", I replied.
"Wadaumeen?"
"You slammed the grinding wheel down onto a steel surface."
"Suwat?"
At which point the (ex-navy) boss arrived and, having been told of the situation, subjected this poor youth to a tirade of abuse some of which, I confess, was novel even to me.
I asked the girl at my local Morrisons how many rats were in their tin of ratatouille, after checking the barcode she said there weren't that many !!!!!