The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dizzy gear pin
Can anyone tell me if the pin securing the gear to the spindle of a DK-4A distributor is straight or tapered?
Hi Peter

I’ve used a straight pin peened over at each end. I don’t think (Hope Sad ) that the hole is tapered.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Peter

I think it's plain 1/8 th inch.  See Lucas picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Use an 1/8" rollpin some replacement gears have a 4mm hole for Bosch distributors, a rollpin is a more secure fixing.  Terry.
(25-05-2021, 10:42 AM)Terrytuned Wrote: Use an 1/8" rollpin some replacement gears have a 4mm hole for Bosch distributors, a rollpin is a more secure fixing.  Terry.

+ 1
I agree a rollpin is the way forward
(25-05-2021, 10:42 AM)Terrytuned Wrote: Use an 1/8" rollpin some replacement gears have a 4mm hole for Bosch distributors, a rollpin is a more secure fixing.  Terry.

I agree, use a suitable rollpin.
Ha! No one sells Imperial roll pins in Townsville except a large engineering supply company but I really do not want to buy a roll pin kit with 1,200 variously sized pins. Looks like it will have to be a piece of 1/8" mild steel (welding rod?) riveted. Thank you for your replies.
Peter, not sure I should raise my head up over the parapet here but.......
Same situation, I need to change the bottom disty shaft, the one with the helical gears on my DJ4A.

Lucas says use a 1/8 “ pin. I did not have one and the UK is a couple of weeks away from me in NZ.
So I rustled about in my nail collection and found a galvanised nail slightly over size but a bit of coarse emery cloth reduced it to fit.
Firm fit and then peen or centre punch each end.

I did find that the hole going through the disty part didn’t line up with the hole in the new bottom shaft.
Turned it around 180 and all was good.
Not a lot of precision accuracy back in the day.

Cheers
Gary
Auckland0
Probably individually fitted as the picture."Handcrafted" or individually hand fitted and still much revered in some circles.