The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Young Special Builders?
Hello all, 

I think like a lot of people I have recently been sorting through all the stuff I have accumulated over the years, and found lots of bits that I won't ever use. Realistically with children and all the other projects I have on, I would like pass a load of bits and pieces on to someone young who wants to get into Austin Sevens with little or no money. 

Here is the plan, I have a pile of surplus bits that is getting bigger. I have a complete kit to make a really good engine which includes a 3 bearing casing, reliant crank, rods, block, Seven head, pistons to go with the block, crank and shells are good. All the sundries such as tappet blocks etc are there I think even useable valves. It needs time and effort but will make a really smooth good engine when done. I also have a 4 speed gearbox which I think is complete, but disassembled in a small suitcase. I have lots of front axle bits and pieces, and some back axle stuff. So it is quite a good starting point for someone. 

What I would like is to find someone young who would like to take on a project. They can come and see what is there and we can work out what they need. Depending upon what they want to have they can have it for little or no money. To know it is going to a good home where it will be used is enough. 

So if anyone is interested in something like this please get in touch through private message and we can talk about what there is. 
I am located down near Guildford so someone in the South East would be ideal. 

I don't want to be ageist but the point is to get this to someone young who might not be able to afford to do it any other way or simply wants to learn. If there aren't any candidates there may well be a sale add in the not too distant future. 

Thanks

Tom
Brilliant idea. There are two youngsters in Sussex who are forging forward with Seven builds but not sure they use the forum... will send on a screengrab to one of them... they might be able to network further with their own kind.
What a cracking idea, I have a grandson who is into all things mechanical, unfortunately he is not quite 2 years old...
Duncan, 
I have two 2 1/2 year olds myself, they are the reason for not enough time in the day! Hopefully there will be someone out there who maybe wants it. We shall see. 

Tom
A very generous and encouraging offer Tom. It reminds me of various people who donated parts for my first project many years ago - gestures like this make the Austin 7 world the place we all love 

Perhaps the recipient could be persuaded to share his project-build on the forum.

Peter.
Hi,

I will search through my garage spares and see what I can add to your list of parts Tom. It would be great if we could turn these bits, between us all, into a rolling chassis Smile

David
Thumbs Up 
What a generous offer. Hope you find a deserving youngster.

Paul N-M
I'd volunteer at only 19 but I've just got myself a ruby so don't exactly think I'm deserving enough as I've already got a seven, lets hope it finds someone that really deserves it, although if that reliant crank is going i might try claiming it out of fear of my ruby's 3 bearing crank going "pop"  hahaha
Mr Slater, you can go on the short list of.... one at the moment. I will get in contact if I cannot find any candidates who want to take on the project as a whole. 

Thank you for the other encouraging responses. David thank you for you enthusiasm, don't rush to sort out parts just yet, we need to find someone first. I will keep everyone posted if I find someone. 

All the best

Tom
Could we put a call out through the various Austin 7 lists on FB?

David