The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Ruby lives again
First turn of the wheels in 41 years. Completely rebuilt to be as near new mechanically and bodily - but with a few left-as-original items to hint at its 87 years on the planet. Just a few shake-down items to iron out.

Attached Files
.jpg   img0.jpg (Size: 180.18 KB / Downloads: 939)
.jpg   img1.jpg (Size: 163.01 KB / Downloads: 932)
.jpg   img2.jpg (Size: 183.03 KB / Downloads: 932)
Hi Tony

That looks superb!  Well done.

Cheers

Howard
Hi looking good. Is the reg number a North London issue? Cool
It really is remarkable that so many of our cars have survived. Even though it is 41 years since Tony's Ruby last turned a wheel, that was still around 1980 when most pre-war cars had by then succumbed to the scrap man and the metal worms.

No doubt a labour of love that will never be covered by its resale value, but whatever. Well done that man!
Brilliant, I like the number plates not being new.
(19-05-2021, 08:05 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Brilliant, I like the number plates not being new.

Well spotted, Dave!

(19-05-2021, 08:04 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: It really is remarkable that so many of our cars have survived. Even though it is 41 years since Tony's Ruby last turned a wheel, that was still around 1980 when most pre-war cars had by then succumbed to the scrap man and the metal worms.

No doubt a labour of love that will never be covered by its resale value, but whatever. Well done that man!
Ah! It's not mine but belongs to my wife, Anne, who bought it in 1971. You are right about the resale value - but it's both what we wanted, and you can't take it with you. Let's hope that it survives another 87 years!

(19-05-2021, 07:43 PM)phillips Wrote: Hi looking good. Is the reg number a North London issue? Cool
The car was first registered in the Wirral, Cheshire and stayed with one family until 1962. It then changed hands several times during the 1960s with, as far as we know, Anne, my wife, being the 7th owner. It was completely original, and used daily for some years - but eventually stored (a terrible thing to do to a car) and was in pretty poor shape when eventually taken out of hibernation for the rebuild.
lovely.
is the front plate newer than the rear do you think? I like them with the alloy rim painted black just to dull them down a bit.
The number plates are as they were when I bought the car in 1971.

But for this car, I would never have met my husband (not to mention all the wonderful A7 friends too) and my family would never have existed.... so my Ruby is priceless!
Congratulations on an absolutely beautiful Ruby Anne, it’s so easy to over restore a car, retaining at least some of its well earned patina, even in a small way is essential, in my view.
Thank you; I really can't take any credit as Ruairidh Dunford has done all the work. We've tried to keep it as original as possible because it still retained many original early features & parts, though much of the bodywork was rusted through. Although I've yet to get my hands on it, I'm delighted with the result of all the hard & careful work and can't wait to get behind the wheel again.