The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Supercharged Austin seven engine advice
Good title for the next album Ruairidh!
But what will we call the band Chris?

Another downside of publishing pricing is that it may not be accurate/current.

Those anticipating Paul Bonewell to grind a camshaft today, at the prices quoted, will be somewhat disappointed (and I have Paul’s permission to say that).
(04-01-2018, 12:49 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: But what will we call the band Chris?

Another downside of publishing pricing is that it may not be accurate/current.

Those anticipating Paul Bonewell to grind a camshaft today, at the prices quoted, will be somewhat disappointed (and I have Paul’s permission to say that).

Of course none of them are precise - I wrote mine from memory, and that's completely shot through cooking in aluminum pans!
If anyone thinks that they can cost the build of a blown Austin engine on a spreadsheet and be close to even the nearest grand they should perhaps go and buy a Caterham instead.

Charles
(31-12-2017, 06:05 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: To give you an idea of cost there was a supercharged engine on eBay at £18000 if you do the maths that's a reasonable price.

Charles,

the whole pricing discussion came on the back of Zeto’s statement - which suggested that he had done the maths.

I was genuinely interested in seeing the workings behind it as this kind of engine, and the costings involved, are way out of my field of experience.

I hope that you would agree that it would be unfair to allow an incorrect costing, applied to a specific supplier, to go unchecked both for the supplier and the upcoming customers.

If you feel aggrieved - I apologise.

On a separate issue can Zeto tell us more about his cranks and rods please? Are these in production or have you made your own?

If in production - what form do you offer and how do we contact you?
(04-01-2018, 02:02 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: If you feel aggrieved - I apologise.

Don't be silly!

Charles
That is good to know - thank you.

Zeto - your crank and rods, please...
(04-01-2018, 02:14 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That is good to know - thank you.

Zeto - your crank and rods, please...

Already given this info , thought it would raise a few giggles
(02-01-2018, 10:30 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Here are the specs of my cranks and rods

Crank:  Forged CDM, fully smoothed and balanced.
Rods  : Pot Sheened to 60 degrees, complete with self locking hazel nuts and meringue shells.

I find Elmlea to be the best lubricant with these.

Yes - some latter parts did, of course.

I take it the preceding text is TOC as well?
Maybe of interest I have a profile pattern logged in my name with Kent Cams of an original supercharged Ulster camshaft 9c140. The quality of workmanship is some of the best I have seen with the technology to back it up.
   Below are the original and reground ones side by side. As you can see if you select the correct age of camshaft to be reground then it barely touches the original base circle.
   These will retail at £150 plus p&p using a camshaft supplied by the customer
Lovely work!