The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rebuilt engine firing on 2 cylinders
When I first obtained the Austin Seven Standard Sports/Latrobe, the engine. which had been rebuilt twenty years abo by renowned Club expert the late Bob Booth, had stood for ten years. 

All the exhaust valves were stuck. After an engine rebuild with new exhaust valves and guides plus a bore hone the car ran well.

Hopefully it will again following the last 12 months of enforced rest. It has been started and run every three months and all seems well.
For the first time in 40 years of ownership our Heavy 12/4 suffered with stuck valves this year.

I put this down the longest period of inactivity in that period. After freeing them off it ran well again, I hope the same is true for you Jack.
I think this thread reinforces the Austin Seven owners mantra that if you don’t actually use your car it will deteriorate.

When I was gainfully employed, I used an Austin 7 and an Austin 10 seven days a week for many years for work and general household duties. They were both treated as day to day cars, covered in mud from the lanes and getting the bare minimum of attention yet both proved utterly reliable.

How does the old saying go? Use it or lose it...and we can’t say Jack and Ruairidh don’t use their cars, when we are not amidst a pandemic, of course.
Though not the problem with the engine concerned, I think this is one of the problems with the ethanol in the fuel. The guys making a living with 'Will it Start' videos on Youtube say anything thats likely to have been run on fuel containing ethanol, and or have it standing in the tanks and fuel system means that the fuel system is usually fubar, tanks rusty, valves stuck and generally not worth the effort. Remember they sell E85 over in the states
I think the 12/4's problem was not being used, at all, for 18 months combined with being sat in a slightly damp garage.

I am surprised nothing else seized to be honest!
After 14 months sitting at a computer in the spare bedroom it's me that's seized, not my valves!
Nothing a little "oiling" won't sort out Chris!
Following the advice given, I decided that I would remove the manifold to get a good view of the valves. I took the plugs out and turned the engine on the starter and as predicted found No 6 inlet valve stuck open, but only number 6. With some considerable force applied the valve was persuaded to resume its proper place. I turned the engine over some more using carb & brake cleaner to spray the stems and all operated correctly.
I reconnected the manifold and started the engine, which ran smoothly, I reversed up the slope from the workshop and by the time I reached the top it was not entirely happy. A quick trip around the block and back to running on two cylinders again. I suspect that once warm to hot, the valve stems are sticking in the guides? Dodgy
I am now considering what to do. First thoughts are, as Numbers 1 and 3 are playing up, I should remove the head and take out the valves in those cylinders, clean the stems and put it back together. But I await your comments on whether I should be more thorough and remove all the valves for treatment? Perhaps there is a cleaning agent I can introduce down the stems once the heads are exposed? Huh
Your thoughts and/or advice would be welcome
Thanks
With the head off I would be tempted to whip out the valves and run a valve guide cleaner down each one, I imagine they might be nipping up once the engine starts to get hot.

Are the cam followers dropping, split cam followers will cause a missfire.