The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Drag link length
Hi,

I appear to have a drag link that's about 1 1/2" too long on my new rolling chassis... I wasn't aware there were different lengths, so to check does anyone have what length a long chassis with banjo style steering box drag link should be please?

Thinking of possible cutting and remaking this one or seeing if anyone has a spare used one anywhere.

Cheers

David
Is the steering arm bent or off a Big 7
Have you fitted a wedge?
Hi,

The steering box is mounted completely as standard and is one of the ulster boxes from A7 components. Re parentage of the drag link then its completely unknown as it came off the single seater that my father had built and I have no idea where he got it from... The steering box on that though was a coke bottle type.

Cheers

David
Hi David

Tony Betts was selling complete new drag link kits. Or alternatively buy the drag link ends from him and make up the tube to exactly the right length yourself.  Use cold drawn tube rather than Electric resistance welded so you don’t get the weak seam down the length of the tube. I did this on my special as I used a very slight wedge and a Big Seven steering arm.

Cheers

Howard
I presume you are David W on FB?

As I mentioned on there, this most likely came from a car with a dropped steering column. I would be very happy to swap it for a good standard length one, if that appeals, email me on dunford1@aol.com and I will arrange delivery direct to you.
We made the power supply equipment for welding steel tube and whilst there was a historical argument for weld quality variation in seam welded tube there was equally a historic argument for a variation in wall thickness of drawn tube causing weakness. So the arguments for potential weakness went both ways.

These days quality controls for seam welded or drawn tube mean that it is much more important to purchase to specification rather than method of manufacture.

Having said that, I don't know what specification you need for a drag link.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Could someone please tell me/us what the standard length of a drag link is and whether they were of the same length for all production models?
I measured the DL of my current A7 and it was approx 21 1/2" from ball to ball. The too long DL is 23" ball to ball.

David
Thanks David.