The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlining
Hello people
Can anyone help with details of replacing the headlining on a Ruby.
Unfortunately we have none of the original to copy.
Regards
            Tim
I am in the middle of sewing mine today, taking measurements from the timbers in the roof, and from the old roof lining.
I’m pretty sure someone has published a template with measurements, I know there is one available for the RP, because in the next couple of weeks I’ll be using it to make a new headlining for mine.

That one is published on the A7 archive.

It might be worth doing a thorough image search on google.
When I did mine in 2006, someone in the club gave me a rough sketch that I used to cut the panels: 

1. The main panel was a rectangle by 63" high x 50" wide.  The cut-out for the sunroof into the top end of this rectangle was 28" deep and 24" wide, leaving strips for each side of the sunroof 13" wide, which can be cut down to suit when fitting.  (This cut-out included an allowance at the back of the sunroof of 1" of cloth to be folded up into the aperture to give a neat edge.  This edge [29" from the front] was taken as the datum for the rest of the measurements forwards and backwards from this line across the car.)

2. and 3. Two drop panels were sewn across onto the back of this piece.  These were 31" long and 2" wide, situated symmetrically 13" and 21 1/2" from the bottom end to correspond with the wooden beams going across the roof.

Of course, a few smaller panels were also needed - from front to back:

4. To cover panel above windscreen - piece 37" x 8"

5. Sunroof lining - piece 31" x 28".  

6. To cover sunroof pull bar - piece 30 x 4"

7, 8, 9 and 10. Four sunroof edging strip pieces 30" x 2".

11 and 12.  Rear quarter panels to hang down either side of the rear window - 16" x 31" (this dimension could perhaps be less as they are partially hidden behind the rear seat).  

13. Rear window panel frame 25" x 13".

Hope this helps.  It might be worth checking a few dimensions on the car before cutting?  

A diagram is probably easier, but the one I have here looks like it has been through the wash!
I had no lining or wood in my ARQ Ruby. And so having made all my own woodwork, I then made patterns for each of the fabric sections between roofing timbers using an old sheet, tacking them in place and marking each of the shapes along with felt pen. I did not trust using outside sources for dimensions as I could not be sure these would suit my own woodwork but also, can you be sure what has happened to any of the interior woodwork over the years? Once the patterns had been made you need to allow for the folds for tacking.
You need to be sure how you are installing the lining and where your start and finish point is as this will set which side of each timber you tack the folds too.
When the whole lining is installed I steamed the lining cloth which tightened any loose areas.
It was not as difficult as I thought it would be and am very pleased with the end result, I have posted photos of the lining on previous posts.
Denis S
Many thanks for all the replies.
Can anyone comment on whether the Mk1 and Mk2 Ruby have the same internal roof.
I have seen a Mk1 with a different panel size above the windscreen.
Tim
It may be overkill but I like to slip a thin piece of wire in the pockets to lessen the sag between tacks. I start one end of the car and work towards the other lifting each pocket till the seam is just below the timber, not pressing, and with a slight sideways tension. I like to stop tacking at a uniform say 4" from the sides. The final underneath finish should then have no tacking pull marks except the extremities and they be in a line.
(03-05-2021, 12:10 AM)squeak Wrote: It may be overkill but I like to slip a thin piece of wire in the pockets to lessen the sag between tacks. I start one end of the car and work towards the other lifting each pocket till the seam is just below the timber, not pressing, and with a slight sideways tension. I like to stop tacking at a uniform say 4" from the sides. The final underneath finish should then have no tacking pull marks except the extremities and they be in a line.

I have the original 1934 headlining out of my mk1 Ruby and it does not have 'pockets'. It is made from one piece for the roof, and a couple of 2" wide strips sewn across. The strips are tacked to the timbers at 3" spacings, some closer.

The sheet of fabric is tacked direct to timbers across the back, and to the back edge of the roof opening, plus two sewn on strips tacked to timbers across the car.
Hi all, not sure if Tiger has got his problem sorted with the headlining but when I put together the headlining for my ARQ Ruby I had access to a photocopy of guide which was an extract from a book chapter 6 entitled Trimming. This chapter went through the basic principles of trimming all aspects of interior trim for old vehicles. Unfortunately I could not find my copy of this extract but my brother Pete searched through his old files and eventually found his copy, the source of which still remains a mystery. Again this is a photocopy of the book of which we have no knowledge of it's origins, author or publisher.
The document is very useful and I am sure would be of interest and a help to many, however as my brother points out if I were to put this out onto the forum for all to see does this then infringe on publishing copywrite and am I likely to have my collar felt........
All I want to do is assist others.
Best regards
Denis S
(17-05-2021, 02:55 PM)Denis Sweeney Wrote: Hi all, not sure if Tiger has got his problem sorted with the headlining but when I put together the headlining for my ARQ Ruby I had access to a photocopy of guide which was an extract from a book chapter 6 entitled Trimming.  This chapter went through the basic principles of trimming all aspects of interior trim for old vehicles. Unfortunately I could not find my copy of this extract but my brother Pete searched through his old files and eventually found his copy, the source of which still remains a mystery.  Again this is a photocopy of the book of which we have no knowledge of it's origins, author or publisher.
The document is very useful and I am sure would be of interest and a help to many, however as my brother points out if I were to put this out onto the forum for all to see does this then infringe on publishing copywrite and am I likely to have my collar felt........
All I want to do is assist others.
Best regards
Denis S
Fear not; the chances of having your collar felt for putting the data on the forum is zero. Email it to me and I'll post it and take the blame when the publisher comes hunting for damages. Even if he does, it comes under "Fair use" and he'd get nowhere.