The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If only the DVLA....
If only the DVLA had not emerged from the highly over-bureaucratic civil service we could have - like the Americans - almost any number plate we desired. If this was the case, what would the bids be for "AUSTIN 7", "BABY 7", etc. - and what would your choice of registration number be?

Attached Files
.jpg   baby1.jpg (Size: 143.14 KB / Downloads: 384)
.jpg   baby2.jpg (Size: 168.83 KB / Downloads: 383)
Think I'd be happy to just keep the first number I ever had. And it was a 747.5cc side valve.

Maybe I'd like the number from the first car I ever drove, aged 8.   UUM 311

I've often thought that a more flexible UK registration number system could significantly reduce the alarming number of registrations robbed from vintage cars.
Back in the mid-1960s I went with my brother to look at a Riley Lincock (which he subsequently bought); another car in the Devon farmyard which housed the Lincock was a pre-war Allard with the registration number TOY 7. I always fancied that for a Seven, but it is now on a fifteen-year-old Volvo!
(28-04-2021, 03:04 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Back in the mid-1960s I went with my brother to look at a Riley Lincock (which he subsequently bought); another car in the Devon farmyard which housed the Lincock was a pre-war Allard with the registration number TOY 7. I always fancied that for a Seven, but it is now on a fifteen-year-old Volvo!

...and would sell for stratospheric money...
Ian Dunford had a great put-down for people with their initials on a car: "For people who can't remember their name."
One thing's for sure - I'll never to able to afford mine: JAG 1
The Americans have an uncanny knack of taking a perfectly good car and making a total bugger of it. That little Bantam would look far better with spoked wheels, the bumpers removed and some normal sized headlamps, rather than those modelled by Katie Price.

If you need any more evidence look at the US version of the Ford Mondeo, or the AMC Pacer.
I remember that distinctive Nidd Vale Motors breakdown truck very well. Unmistakeable, and though we didn't own a car in the 1950s we passed the garage on bus routes regularly.
Am I correct in thinking it was still in use in the late 1960s /early1970s or is that selective nostalgia?
(29-04-2021, 08:21 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I remember that distinctive Nidd Vale Motors breakdown truck very well. Unmistakeable, and though we didn't own a car in the 1950s we passed the garage on bus routes regularly.
Am I correct in thinking it was still in use in the late 1960s /early1970s or is that selective nostalgia?

We lived on the main road, less than a hundred yards down from the garage. That truck was not used into the seventies Duncan, it was parked up in that yard certainly from 1969, probably earlier. But then in about 1974 it went to Finkle Street motors and they used it for a while, but it didn't last long.
I know someone who started as an apprentice at Nidd Vale in 1956 and worked there over twenty years. Will ask him next time I see him.