The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zenith 26VA air filter
I offer up front that I am a Austin 10/4 owner residing in Auckland NZ.
However my car has the same Zenith Carb 26 VA as several models of Austin 7’s.
Having just got the car back on the road and being expected to attend local club runs, most of which include unsealed, or as we call them here, shingle roads, there is a lot of dust put up if you are not the first car in the run.
I have been looking for an air filter to fit the 26 VA to help push out the next engine rebuild.
I have seen pictures searched on the internet that seem to show a factory model and mention of after market devices provided by some enterprising uk 7 club members.
The problem is the strangler design on the 26VA swings in from out side and any accommodating filter needs take account of the strangler swing slot.
Any advice on where to procure one will be much appreciated.
The uk Austin ten drivers club can’t help.
Kind regards 
Gary Cullen
Auckland
NZ
Ideally you need to find an export air cleaner assembly. I believe these were standard on both Australian and New Zealand cars, and hopefully will not prove too difficult to source:

The standard export Seven carb had a 4 1/2 inch plate as photo which accomodates the open choke, operated by an external lever. A wavy oiled gauze is trapped between another flanged plate spaced out an inch or so. I suppose acheives something although some sources reckon just ration the dirt. I found a curved shield in front of protectedf rom dust direct from the fan. An almost indestrucatble part; many must have survived here
Other traffic is a problem on metal roads. Hang back and coast thru thick clouds on idle so the engine does not suck. If you know the route let the racers go.
In Australia a RYCO A256 paper element Air Filter will fit with minor mods.
I think they are made for Mini Mokes or Morris 1100
Malcolm Watts produces an air filter for the 26VA carb in Cornwall.
Contact watts7@hotmail.co.uk
They are a neat fit and have an enclosed choke (strangler) arrangement
Not like the export arrangement and although not intended for the 10 would probably fit....
Good luck
Bob
The flange part is removable so if you can track down a scrap Seven carb in NZ should have a source. If missing, some substitute for the outer can be fabricated; maybe a paint tin lid.