The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front cover BA 119 question
On the front cover (BA 119), there is a circular steel insert where the cam pulley would go trough with the felt seal in between the cover and the pulley.
Is it possible to remove the steel insert without destroying the front cover?
Thanks,
Stephen
Any of our experienced members have any idea if this is possible?
Thanks,
Stephen
Hi Steve

A question…Why do you want to remove it?

I guess you could cut it out with a slit saw in a Dremel but it would obviously destroy the steel bush.

Cheers

Howard
Howard,
the joint face is not flat (warped) from the previous owners attempts to weld up two cracks which have distorted it. I want to file and finish the face to a flat surface on a pane of glass with wet and dry sandpaper to correct the problem. The steel insert will not allow the cover to sit flat without its removal but it is not readily apparent how it is fitted to the cover. The outside edge appears to be swagged over to stop it falling out.

Apparently these early covers are hard to come by in good shape which is why I'm fixing this one.
Thanks,
Strephen
Hi Steve

Now I understand.  I’m guessing that the steel insert is shrunk on so would be pretty difficult to take off without damage.

The only answer I could give is to measure it carefully, dremel it off, then turn a new steel insert on the lathe and shrink it on to the refurbished nose cone.

I’m not sure accuracy is that important as it looks like the steel insert acts like an oil diverter and as long as the cam pulley turns freely the felt should take up any lack of concentricity?

Good luck 

Howard
Howard,
that is the conclusion I've pretty much come to as I can easily make a new replacement. I don't want to damage or stress the cover in any way.  I'm somewhat surprised that someone hasn't removed the insert from their cover  in the past for whatever reason such as a modern seal up grade or the like.

Thanks for your input.
Stephen
when dave flake made the new nosecones he put a lip seal in.
On my Ruby I have a rubber seal on the crankcase for the camshaft which was done by a previous owner. It just looks like a rubber grommet and may well be one. It’s just a rubber ring the correct size to have a sliding slip on the camshaft with a groove around the outside diameter to fit the crankcase.There are no felt washers just the seal. I have had the car for over 20 years and it hasn’t leaked yet. I hope I am not tempting fate.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.