The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Charging Problem
Hi Everyone
I'm looking for Lucas CFR voltage cut out for my 1934 Mk1 Ruby, can anyone point me in the direction where I might be able to source one please?
The one I have has suddenly stopped charging, I'm not an expert on these things but on looking at the reverse side of mine the resistor wire has come loose at the lower end.
It looks like the Bakelite housing has deteriorated and there's nothing left to secure the lower resistor wire fixing screw to.
I've tried a couple of companies from our cherished supplier list but without success.
If I can't source a direct replacement, does anyone know whether there's a modern alternative I could replace it with?
Huh
is it a CFR... or a CFR2 if it's bakelite?
You can update the resistance with (from recommendation to me in the past) 25W 1.5 or 3 ohm alloy housed resistors, available for a few pence on ebay. Which dynamo does your car have - has it got a little house on the top?
Hi Jon
Thanks for the quick response, looking at the details on my voltage cut out it definitely looks like CFR, rather than CFR2.
The other details on it are the number 332037, and 6v ER 8 34.
If I remove the cover to expose the coil, on the contact arm it has the following:- Lucas Model SB5, 6v Type L35

Hi JonE
I forgot to add, there is no 'little house' on top of the dynamo, just the two electrical terminals
Peter
Or you can disconnect the cutout and use a modern diode to do the same job.
When fiddling with cutouts it is important the engine is not run at speed for long with the dyn output and field wires connected somewhere but the dyn output not connecting to the battery (due for example dyn functioning but cutout not operating).
If the base is no longer strong enough to attach the resistor screw, fill the hole with Araldite. Re-drill a small hole, and attach the resistance wire with a very small self tapping screw.