The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopping in reverse
I struggle a bit to set off in reverse cleanly. The car is keen to jump up and down! It can be overcome by using many more revs & slipping the clutch,but this is not ideal.! My gravel drive is suffering as much as my pride!  The car  (1932) has a Hardy Spicer prop and 4 speed box .Absolutely no problems going forward. All rear spring bushes & shock absorber bushes are new.
I am sure this has been covered ad nauseum, but cannot find it!!
Do you not find that it also disappears when clutch is completely out?. i.e. concentrate on absolutely minimal revs. Not intuitive but I found that worked.
Yes, once clutch is engaged, no problem.....just going too fast usually! Problem is at its most difficult / embarrasing when parking surrounded by spectators!
A bit of reverse tramping as you set off and lift the rear springs is a recognised feature of many 7s, including mine:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...g#pid10500

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
My RK and an AD didn't suffer from it though!
Mine was similar, but improving now it has done 500 miles. Or is it me improving?
Hopping is an endearing feature of the Austin 7. When I was in high school, I used to delight my mates by making my Austin 7 hop.
Did you know that in the 1930's a British comedian, George Clarke, used to feature Austin 7 hopping in his stage show. He even did it in a Royal Command Variety Performance. 
A reporter of the 1930's described the show as follows:
"And the things the car does! With George at the wheel the little bus seems bewitched.  She jumps, she darts all over the stage like a bucking bronco; she shudders dreadfully, stops dead and starts to buck again. "
I think this is more due to driving technique rather than a problem with the car (although it can be caused by wear in the spring shackles or a badly-adjusted torque-tube mounting).

I'll have to experiment with mine - I just do it intuitively now, but I think the technique is to rev the engine to an appropriate degree, then allow the revs to reduce as you take up the clutch, obviously then increasing the revs again as necessary once the clutch is fully engaged.

Just experiment: I think you'll soon find the appropriate action for the circumstances!
Something that may be of interest to David H from the George Clarke show, is that his Austin 7 was standard apart from having the rear shock absorbers loosened off. So, you could check that your rear shock absorbers are properly tightened.
I will check that out tomorrow 
Thanks