The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear axle clean up - how far to go?
The thing has been standing for 50 years unused, but the innards/felt seal of the hub arent in place hence the rear carrier flopping around loose.
So presumably outer hub been done up for keeping main bits all together but may not be tight - but that wouldn't account for nearly 1/4", and I would be able to pull them with a hand, perhaps.
The visible thread length on either side beyond the small hub nut (those are the only bits I was referring to as being quite "clean") are also similar.
I haven't got my puller here so can't immediately check, annoyingly.
Perhaps if the bearing locates the half shaft, then one is missing or loose.
But the "flapping around" is exaggerated end float - 1/4" or more in/out movement in the plane of half shaft's shaft... just on the one side.
The question of outer hub half moving out when not secured was addressed a few days ago. As above only the stickiness of the gasket and radial fit of bearing in housing retains it. if the hub has not been extensively lapped and the bearing not a proper fit in housing, the axle will pull out maybe 1/4 inch. When secured by the 3 countersunk screws it should not move, unless bearing very loose in housing, steel washer ommitted, very thick gasket fitted, or the bearing nut undone (very unlikely)
If the hub tapers can be pulled without damaging studs or threads the keyways and vicinity well worth inspection for cracks.
If the paper gasket has torn more or less have to dismantle.
With the tapers removed the axle is very free, and can with juggling be pushed far in (the basis of the get you home trick)
The common cross section of hub drawing is worth study.
I confirm that mine (My earlier "problem" referred to) when the 3 csk screws are tight, there is no movement.