The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo end float
Hi all, can anyone suggest how much end float is acceptable on my dynamo. It was converted to 12v about 800 miles ago. When I took the cam gear cover off today I have about .080 or so end float. Not sure if that can be adjusted. Also went for a drive on Saturday & all of a sudden a loud clattering came from the front of the engine then went away, to leave just a light clicking noise. Managed to get home, stripped off the timing case cover to find the starting handle spring had wound itself through into the back of the nose cone,jamming the starting handle just far enough to kiss the starter dog. All sorted now but left with a whining noise that’s got me baffled. Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated. 
TIA. Kevin. 
PS. Not sure if whining is coming from dynamo, but only started after episode with spring.
That's way too much end float, it should be negligible and is controlled but a ball race, I have found it not uncommon for the race housing to have wear in some variants of dynamo, this can be shimmed and or machined to correct. Could the spring issue have damaged any timing gear teeth?
Black Art Enthusiast