The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
valve chest cover I.D
Good morning, recently bought this alloy chest cover and just wondering who could have made it. It has a space for (presumably) a makers plate but has no rivet holes. Does anyone have any idea or recognise it please.
Many thanks for any (polite) suggestions, Charlie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks like a "Supaloy" valve chest cover to me. I cast one and machined the letters off to put my own lable on it with plastic casting letters; then cast it in Aluminium. Maybe someone did the same to have a plain cover
Oh dear, no name and no evident provenance. Sadly it can hardly be worth ten bob. However, if you’d like me to put a pound note into an envelope and post it off to you.......
Am I right in thinking it is drilled to fit an early block?   The later ones have holes that are in the middle?
I think those holes are in the middle. There is space left to drill the holes for early block.
Jim
Ah, yes.   Now I see there are different numbers of lines top and bottom.
Assuming you intend using it, it is worth checking for straightness before fitting. Mine was about 4mm bowed, meaning the outer ends didn't put much pressure on the gasket. I flattened it by taping some emery to an old granite worktop, reckoning it was better to sacrifice a little bit of meat for the sake of a perfect fit from the off.
Steve, Showing your age now talking about 10 Bob and 1 pound notes. They were the days when you could have a night at the cinema followed by a fish and chip supper and still had change from a pound.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Just a note to say many thanks for the info to those who replied.
Steve - checked post box. still no nicker in it.
Colin - thanks for tip, will check for flatness and deck it if needed.
John - no cinema but remember going for lunch in my 2nd year of Litho apprenticeship (1971) Pint of mild and bitter 2/5d and next door to chippy for cod and chips 2/6d. Anyone got a time machine please? Regards Charlie.