The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloodstained Radiator hoses
Exclamation 
I could have used another word for bloodstained, but not on this polite forum! Even wearing strong gloves they  are real skin scrapers!
Does anyone supply hoses that are supple? The traditional ones look good and work fine EXCEPT they are such devils to fit being so short and stiff. The lower one in particular is a brute - and it sits/rubs nicely against a bolt on the engine!
On the RP, I find the best way of dealing with the radiator hoses is to remove the top radiator mounting, slacken the lower mounting bolts an tip the radiator forwards.
Bit of an anachronism, but this is what you're asking for:
https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silico...bZEALw_wcB
Search out 1.0m lengths of 32mm hose made by Gates under their Flexcord brand (their reference 4272 10320). Google will find you some options or can be ordered from your local motor factors. It's a reinforced flexible hose that is very pliable and with 1.0m you can cut to length to suit your application. I've used it for years on all my cars without any problems and the flexible and pliable nature makes fitting and removal simple - and it's black!!

Steve
I bought one yesterday afternoon from Jamie at the 7 workshop. It arrived first thing this morning and is as supple as a... well let's just say it is supple. It doesn't have any of that stringy reinforcement so it may not last for 80 years, but I am unlikely to be around to find out. 

Other cherished suppliers are available... but I'm not sure how supple their hoses are.
Aaaaaah.   You modernising lot are going to take all the fun out of it!

These new hoses aren't that horrible blue colour, are they?   That is a no-no for me.
(15-04-2021, 01:15 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: Aaaaaah.   You modernising lot are going to take all the fun out of it!

These new hoses aren't that horrible blue colour, are they?   That is a no-no for me.

Great, the quote button works as it used to. Thanks to all involved. 

As to the blue colour, see the last three words of my post above!

Steve
Thank you all. A length is on order for Monday. Meanwhile I may try a bit more flushing and straining...in fact not too much has come out, but I will try again when the hoses are refitted and after the engine is hot. I am quite happy not to participate in this particular type of "fun"... I recall back in the 80's changing a top hose (and very thick fanbelt) on a TR3A in July on a hot French Motorway on day one of a long continental trip. Mrs David H was remarkably patient! I should add it was the only problem we had in about 2000 miles, We are still married!
My local parts supplier provided a new Toyota Camry radiator hose in soft rubber. When the straight section of the hose was cut to length for the top hose on my early 1928, the remaining section containing an elbow exactly fitted from the side manifold, beneath the dynamo to the radiator bottom outlet.

Russell.
My hoses are that horrible blue colour. However they were cheap and it was only an experiment to see if the in-hose thermostat would work. I couldn't find black silicone hose at a sensible price and I was not optimistic so did it as cheaply as possible. It actually works very well so . . . it's still working 6 years on and if it ain't broke . . .
Jim