The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Ulster Style Screen - Any Advice
Firstly thanks to everyone for their advice and help.

I have some 7/8 nominal OD tubing which I could use for the bottom tube and, conveniently, some steel conduit which slides inside the brass tube very nicely.

Somewhere I think I have a short piece of brass channel which may be enough for the uprights leaving just the bottom “H” section brass, some “D” section steel for the side brackets, the glass and a small piece of brass sheet for the corner pieces and hood fixings to buy. (I say only but even that looks like it could easily come to £120 plus plating).

The only think I really don’t understand is that I’ve now seen photos of the internal (fixed) steel tube where this is just slotted around 45 degrees of the circumference to accept the threaded portion of the butterfly bolts. These appear to screw through some pieces of tapped steel rod inserted into the tube but I can’t see how this works.

If you tighten to butterfly bolts I presume the threaded end just bears on the opposite side of the steel tube thereby forcing the tapped bar back against the inside of the steel tube. This would certainly prevent the tapped steel inserts rotating but the only reason the brass tube and windscreen couldn’t rotate would be because the butterfly bolts pass through it which seems unlikely so I feel I’m not grasping this.

I’ve also seen reference to people cutting a slit down the steel tube so that when the butterfly bolt is tightened the tube can expand and thereby grip the inside of the brass tube. This seems a more likely solution but the photos I’ve found don’t seem to show this.

I’m sorry if I’m being a bit thick but can anyone explain how this actually works?

John.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making an Ulster Style Screen - Any Advice - by John P - 15-04-2021, 02:34 PM