The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propshaft clattering at higher speeds
Hello all, 

My '34 Box Saloon seems to have developed a clattering from what sounds like the front of the propshaft at speeds above 35mph or so. It doesn't happen at all at lower speeds, and seems significantly worse on the overrun. The front fabric propshaft coupling has been replaced in living memory and as far as I can tell isn't fouling the handbrake mechanism, but the symptoms seem fairly similar. 

Is there anything else obvious I should be investigating as a starting point? Is it possibly a sign of a loose flywheel? 
Any advice much appreciated as always.
If you remove the cover on the central tunnel, that will allow you to see the tail end of the gearbox and the prop-shaft. If the car is fitted with a universal joint type shaft then it may be the grease nipple on the sliding member that is contacting the side of the handbrake. If you have fabric coupling, it may just that breaking up.
If the fabric coupling is the cause then pulling the handbrake on slightly will stop the clattering.
Jim
Worth checking the tightness of all 6 bolts in the fabric coupling.  My Amilcar developed the same symptom last week on its coupling during over-run and the bolts were only very slightly loose.
Thanks all for the replies. Hopefully below is an image of the fabric coupling showing the current state of wear - time for a replacement? I'll double check the tightness of everything as well, although there's nothing obviously loose, and I'll also check if the grease nipple is fouling. 

I think you can see the problem in the photo. The flex coupling has delaminated and it looks as if there are cracks in the facing material, around the fixing bolts. Time for a new one I think, or change to Hardy Spicer and avoid that problem in the future. If you go down this route, read the posts on modifying the handbrake pivot first.
I've just been for a short drive with the forward covering removed, and it's really quite alarming how much propshaft movement there is, and the fabric coupling is worse than I thought so I'll certainly be ordering a new one. It also looks like the clattering was from the coupling coming into contact with the cover above it rather than the handbrake.

The current fabric coupling has lasted about 5 years - I would have hoped it'd last a bit longer but the car does see a fair bit of use.
My last fabric coupling lasted all of 1200 miles before it broke up, and I decided to 'bite the bullet' and fit a Hardy Spicer propshaft (ex Ruby). It really turned out to be a 'Fit and Forget' solution and I must have done 20,000 Plus miles with no further trouble. You will need the matching gearbox and rear axle pinion shaft flanges, and as has been mentioned before you will need to modify the handbrake mountings. Not difficult if you use countersunk high tensile screws.

Suggest you contact Tony Betts (he supplied my bits in 2014) as a first resort.

Good luck with the replacement.
Bob
Bob - can you fit the Hardy Spicer direct on to a 3 speed gearbox end by just drilling the correct holes?
You are lucky Rupert, I had two fail at 250 miles and 540 miles so I fitted a Hardy Spicer shaft. For this I needed an adapter for the gearbox end and had to change the torque tube flange, I understand the latter are getting like hen's teeth.