The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mk 2 Ruby tyres
Having read most of the information on the forum.
I am going to purchase two 400 x 17 for the front .
I have two matching 450 x 17 in appears good condition and was hoping to use these on the rear ?
Hope I have read and understood the guidelines 
Regards
            Tim
PS Still working on the sunroof
4.00x17 fronts give far nicer steering than 4.50, which makes it heavy. I have happily run 4.00 front and 4.50 rear in the past.
I see on Ebay that Vintage tyres are selling the 4 x 17 at £85 with free delivery may get two myself Smile
I also have tyres marked 400/425
What’s the feeling on these ?
They are probably alright, but if you can check the width of the tread that is the important thing; it needs to be narrow enough to avoid heaviness on the steering. Hopefully someone using these will be able to give useful comment.
Following Club advice 20 years ago, have run my Ruby with 4.50 x 17 on the back and nominally 4.00 x 17 on the front.

Had a measure of the actual sizes of the various tyres fitted to wheels I have here in the garage.  There is some variation not necessarily reflected in the quoted nominal sizes.  All except the Avon have been used on the front.  The Avon is quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the others.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Interesting that the Waymaster 4.00/4.25 is actually par with a 4.00 width Armstrong. I've got a set of the 15" so quite glad to see that.
It has been noted elsewhere that a 4.00/4.25 is not a 4.00, and it going to result in heavier steering.
Running 4.50 at the rear presumably makes for relaxed touring, but further increases over-gearing for those with heavy bodies... and heavy bodies?
Maybe the wider tread tyres might make a difference when steering at very low speeds - say when parking or pushing the car around in the garage - but not so much at normal road speeds?  Perhaps the main difference when driving with 4.50 tyres on the front of a Ruby is from the additional weight?  It was said that the larger tyre would rub on the front wings, but I don't remember this happening.  The heavier tyres might also increase the wear in the front suspension and steering?  Lighter tyres certainly feel more appropriate.
My 4.00 x 17 Armstrongs feel fine.
Hi

When I first got my Pearl many moons ago, it was fitted with 4.50 x 17 rear tyres of two different makes. They were both probably at least 20 years old. It was only when looking at it from behind one day that I realised what a staggering difference in diameter the two tyres had. After getting a new pair of Waymasters, the handling was much improved, i.e. it no longer wanted to turn left all the time !

The other minor benefit was less tendency for the outer tyre to rub on the inner wheel arch when cornering with a heavy load. The only real sideways location of the rear axle is via the leaf springs, which can flex a bit sideways as well as up and down.