The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Mk 2 loading
Hi I am trying to fine out what maximum load can be carried in my Austin 7 1938 Ruby 900cc. 
Trying to be sure that the passengers I may load into the car plus my weight as a driver is safe for the Ruby? as guess we are a lot heavier than the 30's Huh
Depends on how many passengers! Just to clarify, you say Ruby but then you also say 900cc-are we actually talking about a Big 7 here rather than a Ruby? All Rubies are 747cc.
Hi Dave my mistake yep 747cc

On the V5C its got it down as 857cc? odd

I've seem the following from the Cornwall Austin Seven Club

"It is designed for, and will carry in comfort, four adults up to a weight of 40 stones and 56lbs of luggage"
This about 596 Lbs or 270 Kgs total

I was concerned about all the weight I have put on during lock down! ha ha

Smile
Back in the day, I could get me, my brother and 2 and 1/2 granite kerb stones in my Ruby - mind you, it was a bit down at the heels but still trundled along over the 40 mile ride back home. It took 2 strong youths to lift a single kerb stone, well it did back in the '60s.
Bob
"It is designed for, and will carry in comfort, four adults up to a weight of 40 stones and 56lbs of luggage"

This about 596 Lbs or 270 Kgs total.

People were much lighter back then!! You struggle to find adults weighing less than 10 stones today.
I've run my '33RP "four up" on many occasions and used to do so very regularly. The load was probably over the recommended 40 stones and I've never had any problems other than slightly (more) sluggish hill climbing.
It does make you more aware of the limitations of the brakes with a full load - take it very slowly on any downhill sections!
As Peter says, four adults not a problem as long as two of them are very athletic getting in and out of the back. Going up hills not a problem. It is the going down steep little Welsh Hills that causes a degree of apprehension, or should that be fear.
Carried my daughter and two of her friends to their prom - we are all 12 stone plus - my daughter is 5'10' and and her friends even taller - so say 50 stone.  The only difference I noticed was the rear nearside tyre rubbing on the inner wing a little on roundabouts, and a slight tendency to wallow like an overloaded barge when putting the power down.  Disembarking, it looked like a scene from a Buster Keaton film, apparently.
In the 1950s the sight of my tall just teenage self and brother uncoiling from the rear of our RP so convulsed the same age daughters of a friend, that my father was prompted to upgrade to a "modern"....