The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery engine
This Austin Motor Company image is from 'Austin Racing History' by Harrison, 1949.

It is wrongly captioned as ' "Ulster" power unit showing the Cozette supercharger'.

It's an off-set single seater engine but with a crank starting handle.

Interesting details include Zoller supercharger, C35 dynamo but no starter motor, coil ignition and 3 speed type gearbox with 'crash' type lid (possibly with 4 forward gears , no reverse) 

I guess it's 1932 but what was it fitted to?

Is it not the German Rubber Duck engine, you posted pictures of the crankcase of the sand racer elsewhere this week? Which would be the same?
Definitely looks like a ‘Duck’ crankcase, possibly an earlier experimental set up when fitted to an ulster for testing, hence the handle?
Henry, 
      It doesn't look like a C35 dynamo to me more akin to a bigger Austin.
It is very similar to the one fitted to our 12/4.
Hi All

The pic bears non of Tony’s photoshop skills so I guess it can’t be an April fool posting?

Cheers

Howard
Robert and Ruairidh,

I think you're right about the dynamo. It appears to be a larger diameter than a C35.

Which would make it the next size up. C45 with a 25 amp output. But why, and without a starter motor?
Large dynamo and no starter, but coil ignition - built for long-distance records, perhaps?
How does the clutch operate - no obvious pedal or have I missed something ?
Good question, Stuart. The shaft is there, with what might be a spring, but that strange casting would appear to prevent any lever movement. Unless the clutch lever is at the opposite side, of course - left-hand drive?
Rick

In deepest Norfolk