The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spoke Diameter
Can anyone tell me the Diameter of the spokes fitted to a 1933 wheel . I have measured one I have and it looks like .187 inch.  (or ~  11 Stubs steel Wire Gage)
The original spokes for wheels with stainless cap were 7 gauge (Imp SWG).176 inches but 6 gauge.192 inches for the thread, which is a Cylce thread not of whitworth or UNF form (and not 3/16 UNF. or 10.32! )
I gather replacement spokes are of one gauge (and look thick).

Does anyone know if nipples with genuine original thread are avail and where?
And where a 6 Gauge cycle thread tap and/or die might be obtained?
In my experience the Seven spokes are very robust.
Spokes are generally made with a rolled thread, leaving the outer edge of the thread larger than the plain spoke and the inner edge less indented than a died thread would be, resulting in a larger minimum cross section at the thread with higher tensile strength. For this reason putting threads on spokes with a die is inadvisable. It is always best to use a nipple of the correct size for the spoke.
Richard Brothers in Cardiff Wales would be a good place to start. An old company with excellent parts and service and a manufacturer of most of its products.
I agree completely with rolled thread spokes being a must.
Also that Austin Spokes (original) were excellent quality- I think Rubery Owen were the manufacturers of the wheels you have
Cheers Steve Hainsworth
on my Remax spoke gauge for Austin seven,  for 32 - 33   7 standard wire gauge,  short 5  5/16"  long 7  27/32"                
for 34   same spokes but the short spoke is  5/8 longer i.e. 5  15/16". Length is measured from inside the bend. In 36 they change again.