The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unregistered Sports Chassis & DVLA
Saw this on e-bay last night and wondered what the score was with built up historic vehicles using a mix and match of parts. Seems to be a minefield.

austin 7 seven Chassis Built For Sports Use | eBay

From the description, this has Big 7 axles, also the photos show it has a low chassis front crossmember. 

Advertised with a visible '32/33 chassis number.

Am I missing something? but from the DVLA Reconstructed Classic Vehicles page Vehicle registration: Reconstructed classic vehicles - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

''Get an age-related registration number
DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be:
  • built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle

• a true reflection of the marque''

I would have thought from the first bullet point the rolling chassis as presented would clearly not meet this requirement as the axles are not the same specification as the original vehicle. I guess probably not the 2nd either?.

I also wondered about the Radically altered route. Vehicle registration: Radically altered vehicles - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Would a 1932/33 chassis, with a later crossmember, and the suspension modified to load the chassis in non standard ways (the different torque tube anchor and the radius arm position), constitute an unmodified chassis?, so as to keep the identity?

''Keep the original registration number
Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.
Part
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)

Has all this buggered up special building now?, and are rolling chassis like this now worthless?, do the DVLA turn a blind eye?, or must you be dishonest to get one registered?

Messages In This Thread
Unregistered Sports Chassis & DVLA - by Hedd_Jones - 23-03-2021, 02:32 PM
RE: Unregistered Sports Chassis & DVLA - by JonE - 23-03-2021, 03:06 PM