The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unregistered Sports Chassis & DVLA
Saw this on e-bay last night and wondered what the score was with built up historic vehicles using a mix and match of parts. Seems to be a minefield.

austin 7 seven Chassis Built For Sports Use | eBay

From the description, this has Big 7 axles, also the photos show it has a low chassis front crossmember. 

Advertised with a visible '32/33 chassis number.

Am I missing something? but from the DVLA Reconstructed Classic Vehicles page Vehicle registration: Reconstructed classic vehicles - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

''Get an age-related registration number
DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be:
  • built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle

• a true reflection of the marque''

I would have thought from the first bullet point the rolling chassis as presented would clearly not meet this requirement as the axles are not the same specification as the original vehicle. I guess probably not the 2nd either?.

I also wondered about the Radically altered route. Vehicle registration: Radically altered vehicles - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Would a 1932/33 chassis, with a later crossmember, and the suspension modified to load the chassis in non standard ways (the different torque tube anchor and the radius arm position), constitute an unmodified chassis?, so as to keep the identity?

''Keep the original registration number
Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.
Part
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)

Has all this buggered up special building now?, and are rolling chassis like this now worthless?, do the DVLA turn a blind eye?, or must you be dishonest to get one registered?

I looked at that and it does look like the chassis is largely unfiddled with beneath the bolt ons? Presumably one would be sensible to get the age-related in a near-standard configuration... and then swap those bits over?
Will the advertiser post their thoughts here in due course?
Often depends what papers you have. For example my moto Guzzi isn’t very original at all yet had a scratty old registration document from its time in Italy and the dvla where happy with this. Yet a mate had a bone stock vw from America and needed a dating cert from an owners club. I think it depends on the assessor you get.
In my experience with the DVLA - as an "official" club dating rep - the DVLA will only reinstate the original number if you can produce a document that has both the chassis number and registration number on it. This could be an old-style log book, an MOT certificate, or a certified true copy of a county council register. Old tax discs are not acceptable.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I think you misunderstand the post Rick. It is clear there are no docs, - so the original number could not be retained even if there was a suggestion what it was. The DVLA V765 scheme is what you have described, and it is not an option.

Rather it is implied that an Age related plate could be obtained using the visible chassis number.

Given the modifications, I'm asking the forum if this is possible?, given the other info I have linked to.
Apart from DVLA considerations it's a strange chassis anyway!
hi steve,

as the seller, i dont mind giving my opinions.

there is no paperwork, it came to me with non. as it did the previous owner.

as many of you know, im building two cars without paperwork myself. rather than go to HEDDS paperwork guy. and re-stamp the chassis.

my understanding is cars can receive an age related number, once built. from other age related parts for the model. 

the big 7 is usually seen as part of the austin 7 range. so does that cause a problem? or does everything have to come from the same year? if it does, just hope spot checks are never asked for. as 98% of austin 7s are made from parts outside its year of manufacture.

the chassis has a clear original chassis number stamped on it, so should be elegible for an age related number. this was pointed out because of all the dodgy chassis, that seem to go through ebay with continuancy forms at the momment. trying to deceive the buyers pocket of paying more. (THESE DONT EVER SEEM TO GET BROUGHT TO THE FORUMS ATTENSION). wonder why Angel

all anyone can do is build a car, and apply.

if the DVLA wont give a number, hopefully they will give dirrection for changes they require.

if not, do as i will with both my 1923 and 1925 cars. STRIP THEM AND SELL THE PARTS. (probably for more money)

if the chassis on ebay is not sold, there is no problem. as usual its worth more in bits than its current price on ebay  Big Grin Big Grin several have asked for the hydraulics at £500-£600 and the bare chassis for £400

tony
(23-03-2021, 04:48 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I think you misunderstand the post Rick. It is clear there are no docs, - so the original number could not be retained even if there was a suggestion what it was. The DVLA V765 scheme is what you have described, and it is not an option.

Rather it is implied that an Age related plate could be obtained using the visible chassis number.

Given the modifications, I'm asking the forum if this is possible?, given the other info I have linked to.

Unless the system has changed since I helped a mate through this with a non-A7 car a while ago, a 'Re-Constructed Classic' is inspected and signed off by the relevant club's V765 rep as a "true reflection of the marque" The DVLA only see the paperwork, which IIRC included a 'built up vehicle report' where in this case the answer to all the questions would be manufacturer- Austin; Origin: -original period factory fitment . Can't see why that chassis and running gear wouldn't count as a true representation of a 1930s A7 special if it were finished in a period style.
The DVLA application for 1st registration is a minefield and full of grey areas.  I have just navigated it with a totally original and unmolested 1964 military Land Rover.

They grey areas include statements such as "if a non-original engine is fitted then it can be allowed under the scheme if the original engine is too difficult to source, and the replacement was of a type likely to have fitted as an upgrade within 10 years of the cars original build date."
This, if applied to the rear axle, would mean it qualifies as the late Ruby used the heavy axle that the Big 7 used.

In the case of a Land Rover it allows for a Perkins 4203 diesel engine to be fitted instead of the Land Rover engine as it was a popular swap. Ultimately, be aware of the rules, work to them and be prepared to defend your choices.  Questions of the subject chassis may be asked, but I think they have a good defence.