The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bent radius arm

There is a definite kink in the n/s radius arm.
Can this be straightened without weakening it?
I have straightened an arm like that successfully. You must be careful that the top and bottom 'sides' of the square U-section do not kink. I used a 20 ton hydraulic press which allowed me to be very gentle, and is the method I recommend.
I’m glad it can be fixed.
Would I do it cold or use some heat also?
What is it made of, pressed mild steel?
Arms are very common. make sure obttin the correct side.As a temporary repair could straighten with a block of wood inserted and a club hammer, heavy axe head etc. If have a secure lintel can often jack against even with a screw jack..
(18-03-2021, 11:59 PM)darcher121 Wrote: Would I do it cold or use some heat also?
What is it made of, pressed mild steel?

Best done cold on a press (another excuse for having a press in the workshop!).

Made from heat treated, high quality alloy steel.

Alternatively, there are many second-hand examples about, would be quicker and easier to find a replacement.
Hi

If you do manage to find a replacement (I had difficulty sourcing two recently) check it is the right one as they are handed AND that the thread on the axle end is good.  They are often clouted with a lump hammer to remove them from the axle  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
Agreed; I did mine cold, and its still in use without further poroblem.
im not sure when the last time you boys tried to buy early radius arms.

but.

GOOD replacements are extreamly rear. the key word "GOOD"

bent ones, very common.

cracked across the rivets, very common.

threads damaged, very common.

wear from loose waisted bolt, very common.
A firm familiar with crash repairs or a generally handy engineer would sort it very quickly. A with all such work streching of the metal as by hammering on a hard surface must be kept to a minimum. However Almost inevitable to acquire a kink in the stretched flange but a slot can be cut tclosed up and MIG welded. Leaves part less soft than traditonal shrinking. Persuading such parts back to shape is quite satisfying.
    Here's another one.