The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Not a 7, but what is it?
Not a 7, but what is it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1929 Season OHC Morris Minor Fabric Saloon. Launched 1 September 1928 for the 1929 season, it was the first Minor Saloon.

Steve
notice the glorious victorian cast iron balustrading on the beachfront. I do hope the Brighton madeira drive examples are preserved.
I guess there are very few perosns still around who can recall these vehicles in their day but a few continued into the 50s and I can remember as a schoolboy. Anyone got any reliable recollections from users? Must have been much more lively than a Seven and handling unlikely to be quircky. Ditto the boxy sv model which appear relatively robust although presumably not lively.
Austins benefitted from numbers and the ease of cannibalising parts and ease of handling same.
A friend of mine has a 'cammy' Minor which I have driven. It is really quite pedestrian. I understand that the standard engine only gave 15 bhp and the car is heavier than a Seven. Not sure it handles any better than my RP either.
Plus the Seven engine is much easier to work on for the home mechanic when compared to the quite complex OHC Morris engine with the oil lubricated vertical dynamo camshaft drive.
I think you have to be careful about commenting on the performance of a 'Cammy' minor based on one example. As a pal of mine said who is well versed in the workings of such engines, anyone can make one run, but it takes skill and knowledge to make them sing (as Tony hints at). The MG M Type I had, that has basically the same engine was an absolute hooligan - though the engine had been built by someone who knew what they were doing... Early engines were poor in their cam design though, I will grant you that, but Cecil Kimber soon sorted that out...
I've owned both OHC and SV Minors in the past. The OHC engine develops 20bhp at 3000rpm and to my mind is a lovely piece of kit - look what Kimber did with it! I wouldn't call the car " pedestrian ", it has quite a turn of speed but is not as manoeuvrable or friendly to drive as a Seven. The car was moderately successful. Over the period '28 to '34 twelve different models were produced. In total 39K OHC, 47K SV.
Calling Ian Grace. Aren’t you reading this forum, or are you busy Morris strangling? Mind you, perhaps Ian is trying to ignore us. Team Longbridge has won the PWMC navvying event starting from Prescott so often that if it was like the Schneider Trophy we would have been given the statue to keep and told never to return.
I'm deeply ashamed to admit that we've let one of these into our workshop.  The owner wanted us to finish the woodwork, but unfortunately what's there has been done so badly as to make it a start-from-scratch job.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)