The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres
Hi I have 4.50 x 17 fitted to my 1938 Ruby mk2.  I have seen some new vintage motor cycle tyres 4.50 x 17 with loading max of 677 lbs.

Would this be ideal replacement tyre as a pair

I know of the usual suppliers but think their prices are too high sorry to say Smile
I don't see a problem with that load rating, but if the car is to handle decently I think you need a car type tread shape and pattern.
I have to say that if you are talking front wheels here, my experience was that 4.50x17 were too 'heavy' and the car was much improved by replacing them with 4.00x17

YMMV...
Andrew,
John Barlow A7 spares lists 400x17 tyres and tubes.
Also have you checked the steering arm BM96(1A4066) these can crack.
This part will be under greater stress with wide tyres.
New arms are available from A7 parts .

hope this helps.
I'd agree that motorcycle tyres are not really the best things for cars. They are designed to grip in a different attitude to car tyres when cornering and you may find that they distort the sidewalls as you go round a bend (unless you plan to get your Ruby up on two wheels!).
I fitted some Avon SM bike tyres on my Pembleton (three-wheeler) and they did not grip well, particularly in the wet, and wore out in about 3000 miles.
I have Avon Sidecar duty on the Austin and now Longstones on the Pembleton
Many thanks Bill have emailed John Barlow about the 4.00 x 17 plus tubes.  Will check steering arms tomorrow

Thanks Robert for your advice

Thanks Hugh for your advice

Thanks Duncan for your advice ha ha well I thought I was going to when on my first drive out recently! she was very light handling odd as I thought it may be harder to steer with 4.5's
Howard Annett at the A&OC London Club also has 4.00 x 17 tyres.
Hi

If you think tyres are expensive now, in 1936 a tyre for a Ruby was typically £3 2s 6d, which is about £170 in today's money. No wonder so many old photos show completely smooth tyres, at least until the "ten year test" started in 1960.
I don't think the ten year test included tyres in 1960 . By 1967 tyres were part of the test.
I have been useing 17 ins tyres supplied by Howard Annet since early last year and I am delighted with them the price was so much cheaper than any one else by far and the service was prompt, my next tyres will be ordered from him regards to all Rob.