The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone used "Bars Leaks"
Hi,

As above really.   I have some niggly and very minor water leaks and wondered if there were any thoughts about using "Bars Leaks" in an Austin.

Just thought it may help but obviously I don't want to clog up any waterways etc.

John.
I always put half a tub of Barr’s Leaks into my Seven when I refill the cooling system. No problems so far in over two years and 10k miles. And it certainly cures all the silly little drips and weeps.
I recall that Aston Martin used to put a tub in their cars from the factory, especially the V8’s which were prone to silly little leaks.
I have used K Seal to great effect when things have got really bad... (not A7 I hasten to add...)
Been using bars leaks for years One of the best product. I even use it on my modern car
Hi All

Reminds me of an event related to me when I was a student.  A mate who knew nothing about cars bought an old A60 and on the first run out the water boiled sending steam everywhere.  He stopped on a busy A road and soon attracted the attention of a very friendly traffic policeman.  “You need to put an egg in the radiator” the lawman told my mate.  “Mmmm do I need to boil it first?” Replied my hapless friend.

Cheers

Howard
On a similar vein, a friend had a Ruby, at a BA7C rally years ago with a poor radiator. Someone suggested putting an egg in it, so my friend rushed to his tent, grabbed an egg and broke it into the header tank. Unfortunately, the radiator was at full heat, having just come back from the pub in the village. 
He had a poached egg floating around the header tank for some weeks afterwards!
Always had them in rally cars...just in case!!
David
I dunno about current Bars Leaks but the product of old often used to soften the hoses of old. A layer of oil ifilm in an engine and radiator is reckoned to act as a signifiacnt heat barrier. Jaguar were also reckoned to use it in production. Although do not stop leaks there are relativley inexpensive products here which in my experience very very effectively counter corrosion. Used in compettion cars as specific heat not lowerd as with anti freeze.
A weird story about Bars Leaks. In 1956 Melbourne Australia hosted the Olympic Games. It would have been a couple of years later I was driving past the Olympic Pool and there was about ten Bars Leaks vans parked outside, I thought ii must have been a staff event, but I read a few days later there had been a leak in the pipe work and a "well known car radiator sealant had fixed the problem". For my experience I used it in my Seven in the Fifties and thought it created a lot of glug in the bottom of the radiator. Of course the glug may have already been there.
I too found glug in the bottom of the radiator with Bars Leaks, but the product really worked so I lived with it.  Way back the Melbourne A7 Club used a property out of the City (now a close-in suburb) to hold Motorkhanas.  One competitor had a bad radiator leak in his Seven and made frequent trips to a horse trough in the corner of the property.  The very soupy water worked well for a time but steamed away, thus the many trips.  It was only when he discovered there was the decayed body of a sheep in the other end of the trough that he decided to give the event away.  When later recounting his experience at a Club meeting, one wag called out - "Is that what they call BAA's Leaks?"   Cheers,  Bill in Oz