The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
34 Nippy
I’ve an opportunity to purchase a 34 Nippy.  BUT the main issue is that it’s missing it’s chassis and power train.  (It’s been suggested that someone used the chassis for racing at some point).  In any event, I’d love to own the car, but would need a running gear to complete it.  Would anyone know where I might find same?
Cheers
Alan
Alan, it looks like quite a project! Parts do show up periodically. A few months ago a lot of parts showed up on Kijiji (I just looked and it is gone now) On the Austin 7 facebook group there is a fellow in Ottawa who has a chassis but thus far doesn't seem inclined to part with it.

It seems like you have a couple of choices.

1. Buy the Nippy and start accumulating parts.

2. Buy the Nippy and start manufacturing parts. (seriously depending on your timeline it might be easier to manufacture/ swap in the running gear.)

3. Again depending on timeline and budget you might want to consider importing a complete car - might actually be cheaper and easier in the long run.

It certainly is an interesting looking project though.

where are you located, I am in Toronto.

cheers
JP
Hi JP.   Thank you for this.  I’m located in Oshawa so not far from you at all.  I’m currently putting together a 49 MG TC from a bunch of baskets.  So it’s not like I need a Nippy project - but I’ve always been partial to British cars and as I’ve not had a 7 before....    Well, you know how it goes.  Do you have the contact details for the guy in Ottawa?

Cheers
Alan
the body isn't in a terribly low number of bits either.... have you other hobbies you are keen to keep up with too?
It is hard enough in UK for owners of part complete Nippies...

There was recently a car over here that had a saloon chassis and later Austin engine. It looks like a 65/Nippy but had been pulled together from a number of sources. If you like the shape, then that is always a possibility. It is less likely that the body is going to find a "Nippy that needs a body" over in Canada, perhaps.

Can you try and find out the stamped body number, regardless? On transmission tunnel at its nearest point to the gearbox end.
Alas there’s no body tag so no ID number that I’m aware of. And I’d be ok with sourcing the missing bits from the UK, if in fact they became available.
Presumably this is the 1934 Nippy body:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/osh...PfsWRd7cWk
I'm ready to be corrected but I think a Nippy body would fit any LWB A7 frame if the rear extensions were modified. We know people who can lower the front axle beam for you. Also people who could supply lowered springs to go with them. I'm probably overlooking some details but I imagine it's do-able.

But

Is there even a floor with that body? Doors? Windscreen?
Even a basically complete Nippy is by reputation one of the most challenging A7 bodies to rebuild.
You'd be very lucky to find an original sports engine and gearbox at an affordable price and in good condition over here, never mind in Canada.

Sounds like a big and expensive project to me.

I'm with JP - if you want a Nippy I'd suggest shopping for a decent one from the outset. Unless of course you have resources and skills beyond those of the typical enthusiast.
I think the two doors are on the bench in photos 5 and 6 beneath the wings hanging on the wall above. There's possibly a bonnet behind the two doors, but I can't be certain.

Adjusting the image somewhat, clearly shows the two doors and bonnet - is that silver grey material what the ad describes as the 'Top' i.e. the hood and frame in UK and possibly the windscreen?

.png   Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 15.05.05.png (Size: 400.41 KB / Downloads: 273)

Could this be the floorpan above the tyres?  Appears to be in the same red paint as everything else. Presumably 16" export wheels?

.png   Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 15.21.21.png (Size: 1.22 MB / Downloads: 267)
(08-03-2021, 03:15 PM)Abner1601 Wrote: Alas there’s no body tag so no ID number that I’m aware of. 
not a tag. You are looking for a floor and a three-digit stamp the apex of the curved top of the transmission tunnel! I suspect there is no floor at all...
It would be a major task to rebuild that body and would require a pattern for all the missing parts i.e the bulkhead, superstructure, and floor for starters. Unless very skilled at building body's from scratch and having a reference car to copy parts from don't go there. A 32 box saloon chassis can be converted to Nippy spec but requires quite a few alterations to appear authentic.
Black Art Enthusiast