The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
First time on the road since 1965
Breaking news! Another Austin 7 returns to the road for the first time since 1965. Mr Robin Bower has, this afternoon, made a maiden voyage in his rebuilt 1932 RN Saloon. Any easy run around the precipitous hills of Buxton. "Slow up and even harder to slow down on the way down. But that's an A7 for you," he reported on the phone. Pictures tomorrow, I hope...
Splendid. I was also out around Buxton on a maiden voyage in an A7 this afternoon. When things get back to normal with the world we'll have to arrange a Peak District gathering of some sort!
(28-02-2021, 12:14 AM)sparkeysprite Wrote: Splendid.  I was also out around Buxton on a maiden voyage in an A7 this afternoon.  When things get back to normal with the world we'll have to arrange a Peak District gathering of some sort!
Amazing! Two back on the road in the same town. Hopefully, in the summer, we'll be able to hold some sort of A7 garden party for the Sheffield group - and other owners from the bordering Derbyshire area.
        It was a lovely day yesterday so I took the Seven out to blow the cobwebs out of it up Long Hill to Buxton to find the Seven tucked up in it's garage.
When in England some yaers ago I was intrigued by the stone walls, many masquerading as hedges.. Here they would have regular holes where Asian tourista , 40 ton trucks and others had gone through. Presumably someone in UK funds the rebuild. Does the compulsory tax system include 3rd party property cover?
Our tax system is entirely independent of insurance, but both are legal requirements, tax being controlled through a government department, and insurance being purchased from private companies. Particularly at the present time where the tax rate is nil for vehicles over a certain age there would be no scope for covering the cost of insurance.
I was horrified to discover that insurance was not compusory in New Zealand after my daughter was hit head on by a drunk driver on the wrong side of the road in NZ.
I live in an area that has thousands of these walls. Well built - with a wider base than top - they can last up to a hundred or more years. There are many professional wallers who charge a number of pounds per yard - but it's a slow, methodical process. Some "social" schemes are also in operation, based on training and fun weekends where you can learn the skill - and then get a job standing the freezing, horizontal rain and wind putting things to rights.
Some walls, banking up ground to give a level can be very tall, wide and expensive - as I know only too well... As sheep can jump over these walls, it's also necessary to put up a post fence with wire on top. More expence.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is the Travellers Rest near Flash still open? It used to be in the Guinness Book of records for the greatest number of draught beers on sale, or something like that.

Windy corner.
I assume it's still open, will know when this covid thing is over and it's now the Knight's Table.
I find th photos of the countrysides interesting. typical tourist sees littel of. Some areas here have stone walls assembked from rounded river stones picked up from land when firs cleared 150 years ago or less. I suspect many have been sold off to be crushed for metal. It always seems surprisoig that countries with pops 10 or 20 times ours have so much open space.